Chapter 15 : A Kiss in the Night

Charlotte's pov

I wanted to speak, to say something, anything, to break the silence and the intense emotions swirling around us. But a car approached, its headlights cutting through the night. I turned, seeing Engfa also looking at the car. The window rolled down, revealing Mew. He smiled, his voice breaking the spell. "I talked to Sarah. She was worried, so I told her I'd bring you home safe. Come on, get in."

Engfa watched me, her eyes searching for my reaction. I glanced at her, my mind racing, confusion gnawing at me. Just minutes ago, I had been hurling insults at her, and now... now, everything felt turned upside down. I nodded at Mew, moving around the car to the passenger side. As I buckled my seatbelt, I looked back at Engfa, who stood there, rooted to the spot, watching me. She looked as lost as I felt.

Mew began to roll up the window, and I continued to gaze at Engfa, unable to tear my eyes away. My mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. What just happened? How could I go from despising her to feeling this... connection? The kiss had left me reeling, my heart pounding, and my thoughts a jumbled mess. It was like I was magnetically drawn to her, unable to resist, even if I wanted to.

I rested my head against the cool glass of the window, trying to make sense of it all. Mew cleared his throat, glancing at me. "You okay?" he asked, concern in his voice.

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. "Just tired," I murmured, wanting to avoid any conversation. I could feel his eyes on me, but I ignored it, lost in my own thoughts.

We arrived at my house, and I didn't wait for Mew to say anything. I quickly got out, mumbling a thanks, and rushed inside. I headed straight for my room, my mind still spinning from the night's events. I collapsed onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling. My fingers brushed against my lips, the memory of the kiss still vivid. It was the first time someone had made me feel like this, made my heart race and my stomach flutter.

Despite everything Engfa had said and done, I couldn't shake the feeling of those butterflies. It was weird, this mix of anger and attraction, this strange pull towards her. I didn't understand it, but I couldn't deny it either. Exhausted from the whirlwind of emotions, I finally drifted off to sleep, my thoughts still tangled around that unexpected, unforgettable kiss.

---

The alarm blared, shattering the silence at precisely 7 AM. I woke up in the same clothes from the previous night, sprawled across my bed in the same awkward position I'd fallen asleep in. Groaning, I pulled a pillow over my head, desperately wishing I could ignore the world and skip classes today. I sighed, finally reaching over to silence the alarm. The thought of running into Engfa made my stomach twist into nervous knots. After that intense kiss, I wasn't ready to face her yet.

I reluctantly got up and started getting ready, moving slowly, hoping to avoid any encounters. As I descended the stairs quietly, I scanned every corner, dreading the possibility of seeing Engfa. The kitchen was my destination; I needed something to eat before heading out. I opened the fridge, relieved to find no trace of her, and grabbed a bottle of water. I picked up an apple, taking a bite, and leaned against the counter, trying to calm my racing thoughts.

Suddenly, I heard Engfa's voice mingling with one of the housekeepers, who had just entered the kitchen. Panic surged through me as I frantically looked for an escape route. Dropping to all fours, I hid behind the central island, praying she wouldn't see me. Engfa's footsteps grew louder as she approached the fridge. I crawled around, staying out of her line of sight, my heart pounding in my chest. I felt ridiculous but had no other choice.

I peeked cautiously, and when she moved, I did too, inching around the island, nibbling nervously on my apple. Then, to my horror, I bumped into a pair of feet. I looked up, apple still in my mouth, and saw the maid staring down at me, perplexed. "Miss Charlotte, are you alright?" she asked, concern etched on her face.