Chapter 23 : Unseen Eyes

I was at home, finishing dinner with my mother and Mia. The table was a cozy mess of empty plates and lingering conversation. As I cleared the table, we chatted about our day, the warmth of family making the simple task feel almost joyful. Once the dishes were done, we all decided to move to the living room to watch some TV. The soft hum of the television and the comfortable couch beckoned, promising a relaxing end to the evening.

As we settled in, the doorbell rang, cutting through the tranquility. I sighed, really not wanting to get up, but my mother gave me a look that said I had no choice. "Engfa, can you get that?" she asked, her tone leaving no room for argument.

With another sigh, I got up from the couch and headed to the door, the bell ringing again insistently. Opening the door, I was greeted by Charlotte's smiling face.

"Good evening," she said softly, her eyes lighting up at the sight of me.

"Good evening," I replied, matching her smile. "What are you doing here?"

"I missed you," Charlotte said simply, stepping closer. Before I could say anything else, she cupped my face in her hands and kissed me passionately. The suddenness of it took my breath away, and for a moment, I forgot everything else.

I tried to pull back, wanting to tell her about my mother, but Charlotte deepened the kiss, her hands holding me firmly in place. It was only when we heard a deliberate throat clearing that Charlotte finally broke the kiss, looking slightly startled.

I turned to see my mother standing there, her eyebrows raised in amusement. "I was trying to tell you that my mother is here," I finished awkwardly, my cheeks burning.

Charlotte turned a deep shade of red, clearly embarrassed, which only made me laugh softly. She playfully pinched my arm, then turned to my mother with a shy smile. "Hello," she said, her voice a little shaky. "I'm Charlotte."

"Mom, this is Charlotte," I said, stepping back to properly introduce them. I paused for a moment, feeling a surge of pride and affection. "My girlfriend."

Charlotte blushed even more, but she smiled warmly at my mother. "It's nice to meet you," she said, her voice more confident now.

My mother's expression softened, a kind smile spreading across her face. "It's nice to meet you too, Charlotte," she said warmly. "Come in, please."

Charlotte stepped inside, and I closed the door behind her. My mother caught my eye and gave me a teasing smile. She leaned in and whispered, "Your girlfriend is very pretty."

I felt my cheeks heat up, but I couldn't help but smile back. "Mom," I murmured, trying to sound exasperated but failing to hide my amusement.

With a gentle push, I guided my mother towards the kitchen where Charlotte was already seated at the table. My mother, always the gracious host, turned to Charlotte and asked, "Would you like something to drink, dear?"

Charlotte shook her head politely. "No, thank you. I'm fine," she replied, her voice soft and respectful.

My mother nodded and took a seat across from Charlotte. "You know, it's been a long time since Engfa brought someone home to meet us," she said, her tone light and conversational.

Charlotte blushed, a charming shade of pink coloring her cheeks. She glanced at me, her eyes filled with a mix of affection and shyness. "Really?" she asked, her voice a bit tentative.

I moved to sit beside Charlotte, reaching for her hand under the table. "Yes, really," I confirmed, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

My mother's eyes twinkled with amusement as she observed the interaction between us. "It's nice to see Engfa so happy," she said warmly. "You must be very special, Charlotte."