Chapter 46 : The Last Step

The car slowed to a stop right in front of us, the engine purring in a way that felt too calm, too deliberate. I held my breath, gripping Engfa's hand tightly as my heart raced. I braced myself, half expecting to see my father step out, ready to drag me back into that nightmare. The tension between us was thick, every second that passed felt like it stretched for hours.

The door creaked open, and my body tensed up. But instead of my father, a familiar figure emerged from the driver's seat. Sarah. I blinked, my mind struggling to catch up. She wasn't supposed to be here. What was she doing?

"Charlotte!" Sarah's voice broke the silence as she strode toward me, pulling me into a tight hug. My muscles were stiff, too caught off guard to even respond properly. Then, she released me and moved to hug Engfa, who looked just as confused.

"How are you both?" Sarah asked, her tone way too casual for the situation we were in.

I ignored the question, stepping back to give her a sharp look. "What is going on, Sarah? Where's my father? Why are you here?" My voice was more demanding than anything. I needed answers.

She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck before meeting my eyes. "I didn't tell him. He doesn't know I'm here."

My eyebrows shot up. "What? Are you insane? If he finds out, he'll fire you on the spot. Why would you—?"

"Don't worry about me," she cut me off, her tone firm but not unkind. "That's not important right now."

I was about to argue when she added, "There's someone who wants to see you."

Engfa's grip on my arm tightened as she pulled me slightly behind her, her eyes narrowing at Sarah. "Who? Who wants to see her?"

Sarah's eyes softened. "Trust me."

She gestured toward the car, her hand outstretched, motioning for us to get in. "Come on, it's safe. I promise," she said, her voice calm but filled with urgency.

Engfa didn't move. Her grip on my arm tightened, her eyes locked on Sarah with pure suspicion. I could feel the tension rolling off her in waves, the unease in every inch of her body. She wasn't convinced.

"Char..." Engfa's voice was low, warning. "We don't even know where she's taking us. What if this is a trap?" She glanced between Sarah and me, clearly torn.

I gently placed my hand over hers, trying to ease the tension. "It's Sarah," I whispered, meeting her eyes. "She's never given me a reason not to trust her. If she says it's safe, then it is. We'll be okay."

Engfa's jaw tightened, her gaze flickering back to Sarah as if calculating the risk. She wasn't ready to just accept it. Not after everything we had been through. "How do we know this isn't some kind of setup?"

Sarah stopped walking, turning back to us with a serious look in her eyes. "Engfa, listen," she said softly. "I would never... I could never do anything to hurt Charlotte. Not ever. You have my word." There was a sincerity in her voice that even Engfa couldn't ignore.

For a moment, there was just silence, the tension thick. I could see the wheels turning in Engfa's mind, her protective instincts warring with her need to trust me. Finally, she exhaled slowly, loosening her grip on my arm but still not letting go completely.

"Okay," Engfa muttered, though her expression was still guarded. "But if anything feels off, we're out of there. Understand?"

I nodded, grateful she was willing to trust Sarah — and by extension, me.

We walked toward the car, Engfa still holding on to me like she was afraid I'd disappear if she didn't. As we climbed into the backseat, I couldn't shake the knot of nerves twisting in my stomach, but I kept telling myself it would be okay. Sarah wouldn't put us in danger.