Chapter 41 : Tethered Hearts

Engfa's pov

Charlotte and I lay together in the quiet of the night, the soft light from the bedside lamp casting a warm glow over us. She was curled up against me, her head resting on my chest, her arm draped across my body, holding me as if I might slip away if she didn't keep me close. Our legs were tangled together beneath the covers, and I could feel the gentle rise and fall of her breathing against my skin.

I stared up at the ceiling, my fingers absentmindedly running through her hair, the repetitive motion meant to soothe her into sleep. But my mind was anything but calm. The thought of her father, the way he had hurt her, gnawed at me like a persistent ache that wouldn't go away. I wanted nothing more than to confront him, to make him pay for what he had done, but I knew I couldn't. Not now. Not when Charlotte needed me here, by her side.

My thoughts drifted, as they often did, to the beginning of all this. If Jax and I hadn't decided to steal from her house, if I hadn't seen that photo on her father's desk, maybe none of this would have happened. Maybe Charlotte would be safe, living her life without fear, without pain. Mia and my mother wouldn't have had to leave our home. I wouldn't be lying here, burdened by the weight of the choices I'd made. But then, I reminded myself, I would never have met Charlotte. I would never have known what it felt like to love someone so deeply, so completely. And despite everything, that thought made it all seem worth it.

Lost in these thoughts, I almost didn't notice when Charlotte shifted slightly, looking up at me. I glanced down and saw her watching me, her eyes reflecting the concern she always carried for me.

"Why aren't you asleep yet?" I asked softly, brushing a stray strand of hair from her face.

She gave me a small smile, her hand resting gently on my chest. "I can hear your heart beating so fast," she murmured, her fingers tracing light circles on my skin. "What are you thinking about?"

I pressed a kiss to her forehead, trying to ease her worry. "Nothing important," I lied, not wanting to burden her with my thoughts. "You should try to sleep."

But she wasn't convinced. She held me tighter, her eyes searching mine. "I'm scared that if I fall asleep, you'll leave me alone in the room," she confessed, her voice barely above a whisper.

I smiled down at her, my heart swelling with love for this girl who had somehow become everything to me. "I'm not going anywhere," I promised, a hint of playfulness in my tone as I added, "And besides, I'm pretty much stuck here. Look at how tightly you're holding me."

She chuckled softly, but the sound was tinged with vulnerability. Her hand moved up to my neck, her fingers brushing against the sensitive skin there as she looked up at me. Slowly, she lifted her head, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek. Then, without hesitation, she gently turned my face toward hers, her lips meeting mine in a kiss that was full of need and reassurance.

I kissed her back, the familiar taste of her lips grounding me in the present, pushing away all the worries that had been swirling in my mind. The kiss deepened, our lips parting as our tongues found each other in a slow, deliberate dance. There was no rush, just the pure, raw connection that had always existed between us, something that went beyond words.

As the kiss intensified, Charlotte began to move, her body shifting so that she was slowly climbing on top of me. I could feel the warmth of her skin against mine, the press of her body as she settled above me, and it sent a shiver of anticipation down my spine. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her closer, needing to feel every inch of her against me.

We kissed like we were trying to make up for all the lost time, all the moments we hadn't been able to share.

As the kiss grew more intense, I felt Charlotte pressing closer, her body moving against mine with a need that mirrored my own. My hands roamed over her back, feeling the warmth of her skin under my fingertips, but a small voice in the back of my mind reminded me of everything she had been through today. As much as I wanted her, needed her, I knew I had to be careful, to make sure she was okay, that she didn't feel pressured.