Chapter 28 : Eyes in the Crowd

I was seated in Sarah's office, the late afternoon sun casting long shadows across the room. Sarah looked at me with a mixture of concern and urgency. "Engfa, tonight is a very important event at Austin Financial Empire. We're celebrating a partnership with the Martinez. I need you to help with serving. Are you sure you're up to it with your injury?"

I nodded, offering her a reassuring smile. "There's no problem, Sarah. I'm feeling much better now."

She seemed relieved, handing me a schedule for the evening. "Alright then, I'll see you tonight."

I left her office and stepped into the bustling activity of the household staff. Everyone was busy preparing for the evening's event, moving quickly to ensure everything was perfect. I made my way outside to the garden, looking for a moment of peace before the chaos of the evening.

There, I found Charlotte swimming leisurely in the pool. She looked serene, her movements graceful and unhurried. I knelt down by the edge, waiting for her to resurface. When she did, she saw me and smiled, swimming over to where I was.

"Hey, there," she greeted, resting her arms on the edge of the pool, her face close to mine.

"Did you know your father is hosting an event tonight?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Everyone's running around like crazy while you're here, taking a swim."

Charlotte laughed, glancing at her watch. "I've got a little time left to relax," she said playfully. "Are you going to be there?"

I nodded, rolling my eyes a little. "Yeah, I'll be serving all those rich, pretentious people."

Charlotte giggled, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Lucky for me, you'll be there to keep things interesting." She leaned in slightly, her voice dropping to a teasing whisper. "Maybe you'll serve me something special?"

I smirked, playing along. "Oh, I'll make sure to give you the best service," I said, my voice low and suggestive.

She chuckled, her fingers brushing lightly against mine. "I look forward to it. You know, in that little server's outfit, you'll be the most attractive person at the party."

I felt a blush rising but tried to maintain my composure. "And you'll be the most stunning guest, I'm sure."

Charlotte's eyes glinted with amusement. "Well, if you play your cards right, maybe I'll let you have a dance."

I laughed softly. "You're on. But first, you need to get out of the pool and get ready."

She sighed dramatically but smiled. "Alright, alright. I'll see you tonight."

With that, she pulled herself out of the pool, water cascading down her lithe form. She grabbed her towel and looked at me before heading inside to prepare for the evening.

---

I arrived in front of the Austin Financial Empire building, tilting my head back to take in its imposing height. Even though it wasn't my first time seeing the building—I had been here several times before, spying on Charlotte's father—it still managed to leave me awestruck. The architecture was breathtaking, and the gleaming windows reflected the late afternoon sun, giving the entire structure an ethereal glow.

Walking inside, I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the sheer opulence. The interior was a symphony of marble and glass, the floors polished to a mirror-like finish. Security personnel were stationed everywhere, their presence a constant reminder of the importance of tonight's event. I showed my badge at the security checkpoint, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves as I made my way towards the grand hall.

The event space was enormous, with round tables elegantly arranged throughout the room. The decorations were minimalist yet sophisticated: crisp white tablecloths, simple floral centerpieces, and soft ambient lighting that created a warm and inviting atmosphere. Tall cocktail tables were scattered around the perimeter, and a giant screen dominated one wall, ready for presentations or announcements.