Chapter 33 : Silent Cries

Sarah continued to knock gently on the door, her voice filled with concern. "Charlotte, it's been days. You need to eat something and come out for a bit. Please, open the door. Your parents aren't home, it's just us."

I lay curled up on my bed, staring blankly at the door. Her words barely registered through the fog of my despair. With a heavy sigh, I forced myself to get up and trudged to the door, unlocking it before returning to my bed without a word.

Sarah pushed the door open carefully and stepped inside, her face falling as she took in the mess and my disheveled state. She began to pick up the scattered items, tidying the room bit by bit. She walked to the terrace and pulled open the curtains, letting the sunlight stream in. I winced, the light harsh against my tired eyes.

"We need to let some fresh air in," Sarah said gently, opening the terrace door. The room filled with the sounds of birds and distant traffic, but it did little to lift the suffocating weight on my chest.

I lay there, scrolling mindlessly through my phone, not really seeing anything. Sarah sat down on the edge of the bed and started to stroke my hair softly. "Charlotte, you have to eat something. You can't keep doing this to yourself."

"I'm not hungry," I mumbled weakly, my voice barely above a whisper.

Sarah sighed and gently took the phone from my hand. I didn't have the energy to resist, so I just turned over, facing away from her.

"Heartbreak is one of the hardest things to go through," Sarah began, her voice soft and soothing. "It feels like the world is ending, and nothing will ever be the same again. But you have to take care of yourself. You can't let this destroy you."

I stayed silent, her words washing over me but not really sinking in. My mind kept replaying everything—every moment with Engfa, every word she said, every promise that now felt like a lie.

"Charlotte, you are so strong," Sarah continued. "I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you will get through this. It's okay to be sad, it's okay to cry, but you have to keep moving forward."

"I don't know how," I admitted, my voice cracking. "It hurts too much."

"I know," Sarah said softly, brushing a tear from my cheek. "But you have to start somewhere. Let's get you something to eat, just a little bit, and then maybe we can go for a walk. Fresh air will do you good."

I nodded weakly, not because I wanted to, but because I knew she was right. I couldn't stay in this dark hole forever. Sarah helped me sit up, and I leaned against her, feeling utterly drained. She handed me a glass of water and a sandwich she had brought with her.

"Just a few bites," she encouraged gently. "You don't have to finish it all."

I took a small bite, the taste bland in my mouth, but it was a start. Sarah stayed by my side, her presence a small comfort in the overwhelming darkness. I knew it would be a long road to feeling okay again, but at least I wasn't alone.

Forcing myself to take a shower felt like climbing a mountain. The water cascaded over me, mingling with the fresh tears that escaped. I scrubbed my skin until it was raw, as if trying to wash away the pain and betrayal. When I was done, I stood in front of the mirror, staring at my reflection, eyes swollen and red, face pale and drawn. With a deep breath, I pulled myself together, dressed, and made my way downstairs.

The dining room was quiet. The staff had prepared my favorite meal, a gesture meant to comfort, but the sight of it only deepened my sense of loss. Normally, I would have eagerly dug in, but today, the food felt like sawdust in my mouth. I sat at the table, staring into the void, my appetite nonexistent.