Chapter 9 : Roadside Troubles

I was in the courtyard of our private university, chatting with Tina and Heidi. We had been best friends since our teenage years, and our families were close, moving in the same social circles. The morning sun was warm, and we sat on the grass, helping each other prepare for the upcoming exam. I started to complain dramatically, sprawling out on the grass, while Heidi and Tina tried to reassure me.

Heidi then asked, "When are your parents coming back from their vacation?"

"Soon," I replied with a sigh. "I really don't want them to. I feel so much freer when they're not around. And I can't afford to fail my exams; my father will be furious."

We changed the subject, and Tina suddenly remembered some gossip. She immediately caught Heidi's and my attention.

"I forgot to tell you," Tina said, eyes wide with excitement. "I was at a bar with Nudee, and I saw Engfa fighting. She beat up this annoying guy. It was so hot," she added, fanning herself dramatically.

I sighed, rolling my eyes. "How can you find someone who's so violent sexy? I hope she gets her own beating next time."

Heidi and Tina exchanged glances before looking back at me. "You're being harsh," Tina said. "Why do you get so irritated whenever Engfa's mentioned?"

There was a moment of silence as I hesitated, debating whether to tell them the whole story. Finally, I sighed and began to explain everything. "Engfa broke into my house one night. I caught her wandering the halls, probably stealing things. Another time, I saw her outside dressed like a thief. She's not a good person. I'm sure she's involved in a lot of illegal stuff."

Tina and Heidi were shocked, their mouths hanging open. "We didn't know she was like that," Heidi said. "Maybe you should get rid of her before she does something worse."

I hesitated again, adjusting my position and thinking deeply. I had never really questioned why I hadn't gotten rid of Engfa. Despite everything, there was something about her that I couldn't dismiss. Even though she was insufferable, her presence oddly made me feel safe. It was contradictory, but I trusted her, even if she wasn't trustworthy.

I frowned, scratching my head in confusion, unable to sort through my conflicting thoughts. Tina and Heidi cleared their throats, waiting for my answer. I stammered, trying to explain my feelings but failing to find the right words.

Heidi frowned, clearly puzzled. "It's really weird that you keep her around, knowing she's like that. I wouldn't trust someone like her."

I shifted uncomfortably, trying to find a way out of the conversation. "I'll talk to Sarah about it," I said, my voice faltering. "But, so far, she hasn't really done anything wrong."

My hesitation was obvious, and I could see the doubt in their eyes. I quickly stood up, eager to change the subject. "We should get going," I said, avoiding their gazes.

Heidi and Tina exchanged another glance but didn't press further. We gathered our things and headed to class, the conversation lingering in the back of my mind.

---

During the exam, I stared at my paper, my mind drifting back to Engfa's explanations. Surprisingly, her guidance had made the accounting problems easier to tackle. Hours later, I handed in my completed exam and walked out of the amphitheater, waiting for Heidi and Tina.

As we exited, we discussed how the exam went. Tina groaned about how much she had struggled, while Heidi was confident she'd done well. I shrugged, feeling uncertain. "We'll see. I'm not sure," I admitted.

We walked through the crowded corridors, the stress of the exam still lingering. Suddenly, my eyes caught sight of a tall, incredibly handsome guy walking past us. I couldn't help but turn my head to follow him, and Tina and Heidi noticed immediately. They turned to look as well, then grinned at me.