Chapter 26 : Haven of Secrets

Charlotte's pov

I sat at my desk, surrounded by a mountain of books and papers, my laptop glowing with the open document I was working on. My fingers moved swiftly over the keyboard, typing out notes and essays, but my mind kept wandering. Every few minutes, I glanced at the clock on my wall, anxiety gnawing at me. Engfa was supposed to be back by now.

With a sigh, I flipped another page in my textbook, trying to focus on the dense material. The upcoming finals were crucial, and I needed to stay on top of my studies. I glanced out the window again, hoping to see her car pulling into the driveway, but there was nothing but darkness and the faint glow of streetlights.

Unable to concentrate, I picked up my phone and started typing out messages to her.

"Hey bee, when are you coming back? I miss you 😘"

"These courses are killing me! I need a break and some Engfa time 💕"

"Still studying... My brain is going to explode. Where are you? 😩"

"Seriously, how long does an errand take? I'm starting to worry. Text me back, please."

I hit send on each message, staring at my phone screen, willing it to light up with a response. But the silence stretched on, each minute feeling like an hour. I leaned back in my chair, running a hand through my hair in frustration.

My eyes drifted back to my laptop screen, the words blurring together. I forced myself to focus, to read another paragraph, but the worry in my chest kept growing. Why hadn't she responded? Where could she be?

With another sigh, I turned back to my work, determined to make some progress while waiting for her reply. But my heart wasn't in it. I glanced at my phone every few minutes, the anxiety building with each passing second.

"Babe, I'm getting really worried. Please text me back as soon as you see this."

The unease in my stomach twisted into knots as I stared out the window again, praying that Engfa was alright and would come home soon.

I couldn't take it anymore. The anxiety and worry were gnawing at me, making it impossible to concentrate. I stood up abruptly, grabbing my bag and car keys from the desk. I needed to find Engfa.

I rushed out of the house, the night air cool against my skin. I got into my car and drove towards Engfa's house, hoping to find her there. But when I arrived, her car was nowhere in sight. The late hour made me hesitant to knock and disturb her mother, so I decided to head to Nudee's place instead.

I parked my car in front of Nudee's house and walked up to the door, knocking firmly. Within moments, the door opened, and Nudee stood there, her face lighting up with a big smile.

"Charlotte! What brings you here at this hour? Is everything alright?" she asked.

I shook my head, trying to keep my voice steady. "Is Engfa here? I haven't heard from her in hours."

Nudee's smile faded, replaced by a look of concern. She stepped aside, motioning for me to come in. "No, she's not here. Did something happen between you two?"

I entered the house, feeling a wave of worry wash over me. "No, we didn't argue or anything. Everything was fine when she dropped me off earlier, but I haven't heard from her since. She's not answering my messages."

Nudee frowned, her brows knitting together. "That's strange. Engfa usually keeps in touch. Let me get you something to drink."

I sat down on the couch, my mind racing. Nudee returned with a glass of water, handing it to me with a reassuring smile. "Don't worry too much. Engfa is probably with Jax. She tends to lose track of time when they're working on something."