Chapter 31 : Crossing the Line

As the evening drew to a close, it was time for Charlotte and me to leave. Mia clung to Charlotte, her small arms wrapped tightly around her neck as we stood by the entrance. My mom, with a gentle smile, approached and took Mia from Charlotte's arms. "Mia, let Charlotte and Engfa go home. They'll visit again soon."

Mia pouted but allowed herself to be taken, her eyes still fixed on Charlotte with a look of adoration. I watched this scene with a smile, my heart warmed by the love and acceptance my family had shown Charlotte. It was moments like these that made everything worth it.

We said our goodbyes, exchanging hugs and promises to visit again soon. With our fingers interlaced, Charlotte and I walked to the car. Once inside, I was about to start the engine when Charlotte placed her hand over mine, stopping me. I looked at her, curiosity and affection in my gaze.

She leaned in, her eyes locking with mine before she kissed me softly, her hand cupping my cheek. "I just needed to do that," she whispered against my lips.

She settled back into her seat, and I started the car, driving us toward her house. The drive was quiet, filled with a comfortable silence that spoke volumes of our deep connection. Once we arrived at her place, we made our way to her bedroom, both of us eager to shed the day's stresses and simply be with each other.

We changed into our pajamas, the soft fabric a welcome comfort after a long day. Charlotte slipped into bed first, her eyes following my every move as I joined her under the covers. I immediately wrapped my arms around her, burying my face in the crook of her neck and breathing in her familiar scent.

"Oh, you smell so good," I murmured, playfully pretending to swoon. Charlotte laughed, the sound a soothing melody to my ears.

"You're so silly," she said, gently stroking my hair.

I nestled closer, feeling her warmth seep into me.

Her fingers continued their gentle caress, lulling me into a state of bliss. After a few moments of silence, she spoke, her voice hesitant. "Engfa, what were you really doing at my house the first night we met?"

I sighed, taking my time to respond. "We've talked about this before, Charlotte."

She shook her head, her tone firm. "I don't believe you. You can tell me the truth. I won't be mad."

I took a deep breath, my heart pounding as I began to explain. "That night, Jax and I saw your luxurious house. There was a party, and we thought it was an opportunity to slip in."

Charlotte cut me off, her voice tinged with suspicion. "Did you steal anything?"

I shook my head vigorously. "No, I didn't steal anything."

She tried to look at me, but I kept my face buried in her neck. "Look at me, Engfa. Did you steal anything?"

I finally lifted my head, meeting her gaze. "No, Charlotte. I swear. I wanted to, but you caught me before I could do anything. The only thing I stole that night was your heart," I added, trying to lighten the mood.

She rolled her eyes but couldn't suppress a smile. "I was really close to calling security that night."

I grinned, kissing her neck softly. "But you didn't."

"Maybe I should have," she retorted, though there was no heat in her words.

"Then I wouldn't be here in your bed, would I?" I said in a teasing tone, kissing her neck and trailing my lips down her collarbone, trying to distract her.

After a moment of playful kisses and gentle touches, I asked, "Are you really going to follow in your father's footsteps and not pursue art?"

Charlotte stared at the ceiling, her expression thoughtful. "I don't know. Things have been better with my dad lately. I don't want to disappoint him."