Chapter 21 : A Storm of Desire

I woke up to the soft light of morning filtering through the curtains, my arm draped around Charlotte's waist. Her back was pressed against me, our bodies fitting together perfectly. For a moment, I just lay there, savoring the warmth and closeness. But then Charlotte stirred, and before I could fully register the situation, she turned over abruptly, eyes wide with confusion.

"What are you doing here?" she demanded, pushing my arm off her and sitting up quickly. The sudden movement made her wince, a hand flying to her head as she groaned from the hangover.

I sat up too, a bit more slowly. "You don't remember anything?"

Charlotte's frown deepened as she tried to recall the previous night. "No," she admitted, looking at me with a mix of frustration and curiosity. "Did we... did we do anything?"

I shook my head quickly. "No, nothing happened. You were just really drunk, and you wanted me to stay with you. That's all."

She buried her face in her hands, clearly struggling with the headache and confusion. "Did I say anything... weird?" she asked, her voice tinged with anxiety.

I hesitated, my eyes drifting away from her for a moment before meeting her gaze again. "No, you didn't say anything weird. You fell asleep pretty quickly."

We held each other's gaze for a long moment, the silence thick with unspoken words. I could see the uncertainty in her eyes, and it mirrored my own feelings. "Charlotte," I began, my voice soft, but she raised a hand to her forehead, cutting me off.

"Not now, Engfa," she said, her voice edged with pain and exhaustion.

I nodded, understanding that she needed time. "I'll let you rest," I said, standing up and heading towards the door. As I opened it, I heard her call my name softly.

I turned back, hopeful. "Yes?"

"If I said anything strange or out of line, just know that I didn't mean it," she said, her voice soft but firm.

A pang of sadness hit me, but I nodded, forcing a small smile. "Got it."

----

Later that day, I found myself working in the garage of Charlotte's house, organizing and sorting through the mess. The heat was oppressive, sweat trickling down my back as I moved boxes and tools around. The garage was a chaotic maze of old furniture, gardening equipment, and random household items, all covered in a thick layer of dust. It felt like I was wading through a swamp, each step a battle against the stifling air and the sheer volume of stuff.

In one corner, behind a stack of old paint cans and rusty tools, I found a pile of cardboard boxes labeled with faded, barely readable handwriting. Curiosity piqued, I opened one of them, finding it filled with documents. Most were mundane-old bills, tax returns, receipts-but then, something caught my eye. A document that didn't seem to fit with the rest.

It was an official-looking paper with the header "Austin Financial Empire." My heart raced as I read through it, my eyes widening with each line. This document detailed a series of transactions that didn't add up. Large sums of money were being moved through various shell companies, all linked to the Austin Financial Empire. The more I read, the clearer it became that these transactions were part of a money laundering scheme.

I sat back on my heels, my mind racing. This was proof that Charlotte's father was involved in illegal activities. My thoughts immediately went to the document I had found in his office weeks ago, the one with my father's photo. What was the connection? Why would a man like him have anything to do with my father?

My father had always been an honest man, struggling to make ends meet but never straying from the path of integrity. The thought that he could be linked to someone as corrupt as Mr. Austin made my stomach churn. I had to know more. I needed to understand what kind of man Charlotte's father truly was and what role he played in my father's life.