Chapter 19 : A Clash of Hearts

My father stood over me, his stern expression making me feel like a child caught with her hand in the cookie jar. "It would be best, Charlotte, if your university never calls me again to inform me that you are skipping classes and that your grades are dropping." With that, he turned and left the room, leaving me alone with the weight of his disappointment.

I sank into the chair, burying my face in my hands. The pressure from my parents was suffocating. I reached for my phone, my thoughts immediately drifting to Engfa. I dialed her number, but it went straight to voicemail. Frustrated, I typed out a message.

"Hey, where are you? What are you up to? My parents are back, and I just got an earful about skipping classes and my grades dropping."

I stared at the screen for a moment before adding, "I think they might be auditioning for the next season of 'Parents Who Yell the Loudest.' 😅" I hit send and leaned back, waiting for a response, hoping that Engfa would reply soon.

Feeling the weight of my fever and exhaustion, I trudged to the kitchen to grab a glass of water and some medication. The thought of running into my parents made me cringe, so I hurried back to my room, seeking the comfort of solitude. As I lay on my bed, my eyes kept darting to my phone, hoping for a response from Engfa. I dialed her number again, but it went straight to voicemail. What was she doing? Why wasn't she answering?

I sighed, feeling the boredom and frustration seep in. My gaze fell on the panda plushie Engfa had given me, sitting on the bed. A small smile tugged at my lips as I picked it up, hugging it close. Engfa's thoughtful gestures always had a way of making me feel better.

I decided to distract myself and pulled out my sketchbook. I flipped to an unfinished drawing I had started ages ago and began to work on it, hoping it would take my mind off things. Every few minutes, I checked my phone, but there was still no word from Engfa. Maybe she was just busy.

Suddenly, there was a knock at my door. My heart leaped, hoping it was Engfa. I jumped up and opened the door, only to find Heidi standing there. My disappointment must have shown on my face because Heidi smirked, "Wow, I'm glad to see you too." She said.

"Sorry," I muttered, stepping aside to let her in. "I thought you were someone else."

Heidi plopped down on my bed, handing me some notes. "Here are the notes for the classes you missed," she said. "So, who were you hoping to see?"

"No one," I lied, taking the notes. "Thanks for these."

Heidi narrowed her eyes at me, then her gaze fell on my sketchbook. She picked it up before I could stop her and her eyes widened as she looked at the drawing. "Is this... Engfa?" she asked, recognition clear in her voice.

"Give that back," I said, reaching for the sketchbook, but it was too late. Heidi had already seen it.

"Why are you drawing Engfa?" she demanded, still holding onto the sketchbook.

I snatched the sketchbook from her. "I draw everyone," I said defensively.

Heidi didn't buy it. "Oh really? Have you drawn me then?" She crossed her arms, looking at me intently. She stared at me, her mouth open in exaggerated shock. "Oh my God! Is it Engfa who's got you all flustered?" she gasped dramatically, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Don't be ridiculous," I said, feeling my cheeks heat up.

But Heidi wasn't convinced. "Oh my God!" she repeated, even louder. "It is! You like her, don't you?"

I sighed, knowing there was no point in denying it. Heidi's dramatic reaction might have been over the top, but she wasn't entirely wrong. There was something about Engfa that made me feel... different.