Chapter 3 : A Dance Of Wits

As she chuckled sarcastically, crossing her arms in front of her, I felt a pang of frustration. "Fine," she said dismissively, her tone clipped. "I don't want to see you or talk to you. Just stay out of my way."

Before she could turn and leave, I reached out once more, gently grasping her arm. "Wait," I interjected, my voice tinged with gratitude. "Thank you, anyway."

As she felt my hand on her arm, she glanced down at it briefly before meeting my gaze with a cool stare, silently conveying her desire for me to remove it. Without hesitation, I withdrew my hand, offering her a small smile in an attempt to defuse the tension. However, her demeanor remained icy, her resolve unyielding.

I sighed as I stepped out of the house and made my way to the car. Driving to Mia's school felt like a much-needed distraction from the whirlwind of emotions inside. Pulling up outside the school, I leaned against the car door, scanning the area for Mia's familiar figure.

When Mia came running towards me, I scooped her up in my arms, planting a kiss on her cheek. "Hey there, munchkin! How was your day?" I asked as we headed back to the car.

Mia beamed up at me, excitement evident in her voice. "It was great! We learned about dinosaurs today, and I got a gold star for my drawing!"

I couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm. "That's awesome, kiddo! I bet your drawing was amazing."

As we buckled up and started driving home, Mia chattered excitedly about her day, recounting every detail with infectious energy. It was moments like these that made everything else fade into the background, reminding me of what truly mattered.

As we arrived home, the comforting aroma of homemade snacks filled the air, courtesy of my mom. I settled in at the table, sipping on a cup of coffee while Mia indulged in her favorite cookies, her eyes glued to the TV.

Taking a seat beside me, my mom looked at me expectantly, and I knew it was time to share the news. "Hey, Mom," I began, meeting her gaze over the rim of my coffee cup, "I found a little job."

Her eyes lit up with interest as she leaned in closer. "Oh, really? That's wonderful, honey! What kind of job is it?"

I shrugged, trying to downplay it. "Nothing fancy, just some work at a nearby villa."

She reached out to gently place her hand on mine. "Engfa, I'm sorry if I ever put too much pressure on you," she said, her voice filled with sincerity. "I just want you to have a normal life, and I love you no matter what."

Looking down at the swirling dark liquid, I felt a lump form in my throat. "I know," I murmured softly, meeting her gaze with a mixture of gratitude and affection. "And I love you too."

The night crept in quickly, but sleep seemed elusive for me. I tossed and turned in bed, my mind racing. Tomorrow marked my first day at the new job. Part of me was excited, but another part dreaded the thought of seeing that girl again. I had no idea she lived there. What if she found out about the bracelet? She wouldn't hesitate to get me kicked out or worse, call the cops. I wondered how deep a mess I'd gotten myself into this time.

----

I woke up groggily, the sun barely peeping through the curtains. It was early, way too early for my liking. Normally, I'd never be caught dead getting up at this hour. But today was different; I had a job to get to.

I dragged myself out of bed, plopped down on the edge, and rubbed my eyes. I grumbled to myself about how I hated the early morning grind. It seemed like whenever you had to work, it was always at some ungodly hour. But I knew I couldn't keep living the way I had been. This was my first shot at a legit job where they didn't dig into my sketchy past.