Chapter 10 : Shadows of Intrigue

Engfa's pov

Seconds stretched into what felt like an eternity, and finally, the doorknob stopped moving. There was a heavy silence, and then, slowly, the footsteps retreated. I waited a few moments before glancing back at Charlotte, my expression softening.

"It's okay," I whispered, stepping away from the door. "They're gone."

She let out a shaky breath, emerging from under the blanket. "What if they come back?" she asked, her voice trembling.

I came over and sat on the edge of the bed. "They won't," I said firmly. "But I'll stay up and keep watch, just in case."

I walked over to my makeshift bed on the floor, grabbing my cushion with a sigh. As I sat down, I felt Charlotte's eyes on me.

"Engfa," she said hesitantly, "could you... stay in the bed with me?"

I hesitated, the request catching me off guard. After a moment, I nodded. "Sure."

I lay down beside her, the mattress dipping slightly under our combined weight. Charlotte was clearly still frightened, her body tense as she tried to close her eyes and sleep. I turned my head to watch her, noticing how hard she was trying to relax.

As the hours passed, her breathing finally evened out, signaling she had fallen asleep. I watched her chest rise and fall, a soft rhythm that brought a small smile to my lips. The room was quiet, the only sounds coming from the occasional creak of the building and Charlotte's steady breaths. I let myself relax, the exhaustion of the day catching up with me, and soon I drifted off as well.

The next morning, the sun filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room. I woke up slowly, feeling something warm and heavy on my chest. Opening my eyes, I realized Charlotte had moved closer during the night. Her head was resting on my chest, her arm draped over my stomach. I couldn't help but smile at the sight.

Looking around, I noticed we were teetering on the edge of the bed. She had taken up most of the space, but I didn't mind. I lay there quietly, not wanting to wake her, even though my arm was numb and my body ached from the awkward position. Staring at the ceiling, I listened to her gentle breathing, thinking how different she seemed when she was quiet and peaceful like this.

Just then, I felt Charlotte stir. She began to wake up, and I quickly closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep.

Her eyes fluttered open, and it took her a moment to realize where she was and the position we were in. Suddenly, she jerked away, and in her haste, she accidentally shoved me off the bed. I hit the floor with a thud, wincing as I held the back of my head.

"Oh my God, Engfa!" Charlotte exclaimed, scrambling to the edge of the bed to look down at me. "Are you okay?"

I groaned, rubbing my head as I tried to sit up. "There are better ways to wake up, you know," I muttered, giving her a half-smile despite the pain.

Her face was a mix of panic and guilt. "I'm so sorry," she said quickly, extending a hand to help me up.

I took her hand, allowing her to pull me to my feet. "It's fine," I said, brushing myself off. "I've survived worse."

She looked at me apologetically, her cheeks flushed. "I didn't mean to push you. I just... I didn't realize..."

"That you were practically glued to me," I said, watching her cheeks turn a delightful shade of red. She quickly averted her gaze, attempting to change the subject.

"We should probably get going before someone finds us," she suggested, clearly flustered.

A tense silence settled between us as we got up. I opened the door, only to be greeted by a man standing right outside, his expression stern and unwelcoming.