Chapter 13 : Pressure Points

The sun was setting as I sat on the terrace at Charlotte's house, enjoying the view. The expansive patio overlooked a large, sparkling pool surrounded by tall, swaying palm trees. The sky was a canvas of oranges and pinks, and the entire scene felt like something out of a postcard. I was sprawled comfortably on the grand outdoor sectional sofa, feeling the warmth of the day fade into the coolness of the evening.

Charlotte appeared, settling on the opposite end of the sofa with her study materials in hand. I watched her flip through the pages, her brow furrowed in concentration. Shaking my head, I moved closer and closed her books gently.

"Again?" she asked, her voice tinged with annoyance as she looked up at me, eyebrows knitting together.

Without answering, I took her hand and pulled her up from the sofa. "Come on," I said, leading her away from the house.

"Engfa, not today. I need to study," she protested, trying to resist. "I don't have time for your nonsense."

Ignoring her complaints, I continued to walk, holding her hand firmly. "Where are we going?" she finally asked, exasperation clear in her voice.

"You need a break," I replied. "You've been studying nonstop for days. Your brain needs a rest."

I led her to my car, opening the door and motioning for her to get in. She hesitated, eyeing me skeptically. "We better not end up stranded and sleeping in some rundown motel again," she warned.

Laughing, I shook my head. "Don't worry. This time, everything will be fine."

As she settled into the seat, I leaned in close, and she instinctively pulled back, her eyes wide. "What are you doing?" she asked, her voice a whisper.

With a smile, I reached for her seatbelt and fastened it, our faces just inches apart. I could feel the heat from her breath as she stared at me, her eyes full of questions. "Just making sure you're safe," I said softly, before pulling away and starting the car.

The drive was peaceful, the setting sun casting a golden glow over the landscape. Charlotte busied herself with her phone, and after a few moments, she spoke up. "I just texted Sarah and told her I'm at Heidi's studying."

I smiled, keeping my eyes on the road. "Good thinking."

We drove in comfortable silence for a while, the scenery passing by in a blur of colors. Eventually, we arrived at our destination. As we stepped out of the car, Charlotte looked around, curious. A large building loomed ahead of us, its windows reflecting the last light of the day.

I approached the entrance but found it locked. Disappointment washed over me as I tugged at the doors, to no avail. "What is this place?" Charlotte asked, noticing my frustration.

"It's supposed to be something special," I muttered, glancing around for another way in.

"It's closed," Charlotte pointed out. "We should just go."

I shook my head, determined. "There's always a way in."

"Engfa, we can't break in again. We might not get away with it this time," she warned, her voice edged with panic.

"It'll be worth it, trust me," I assured her, my eyes scanning the perimeter.

We made our way to the back of the building, testing every door we passed. All were locked. Just as I was about to give up, I spotted an open window. "Bingo," I whispered to myself.

I hoisted myself up and slipped through the window, landing softly on the other side. Turning back, I extended my hand to her. "Come on, you can do it."