Chapter 24 : In the Halls of Desire

I drove with Jax in the passenger seat, keeping a safe distance from the van ahead. My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, and my mind raced with thoughts about who the man was and why he was watching us. Jax had his phone out, speaking quickly into it.

"Leon, I need you to trace a license plate number," he said, dictating the number as he kept an eye on the van. "Yeah, it's urgent. Thanks."

We followed the van for what felt like an eternity, weaving through the city and eventually heading into an industrial area on the outskirts. The buildings became more spaced out, and the area grew quieter, more deserted. Finally, the van pulled into the lot of a large, ominous-looking warehouse. It was a tall, imposing structure with faded, peeling paint and rusted metal doors. It looked like the kind of place where no one would ask questions.

I parked a short distance away, making sure to keep our car hidden from view. Jax and I got out quietly, and we began to follow the man as he made his way toward the entrance. The tension in the air was palpable, and I felt my heart pounding in my chest.

"Engfa, this could be dangerous," Jax whispered, grabbing my arm.

I shook him off gently but firmly. "Don't worry. We need to find out what's going on."

He sighed, looking around warily. "Do you think they could be connected to Charlotte's father?"

"I don't know," I admitted, my voice tense.

Just then, Jax's phone buzzed. He glanced at the screen and answered it quickly. "Leon, what did you find?"

I could hear Leon's voice faintly on the other end. "I couldn't trace the vehicle. It's a rental, probably under a fake name."

Jax relayed the information to me, and I nodded, my suspicions growing. "Let's keep going. We need to know what they're up to."

We crept closer to the warehouse, sticking to the shadows. The man we had followed was now inside, and through a cracked window, we could see him handing over a set of documents to another man. Both of them wore similar attire-dark clothes and single earbuds. They seemed to be deep in conversation.

"Can you hear what they're saying?" I whispered.

Jax strained to listen, his face tense with concentration. "Something about a delivery... and a schedule change. It's hard to make out."

We edged closer, careful to stay hidden. The men were talking in low voices, and bits of their conversation floated to us through the crack in the window.

"These documents need to be delivered immediately. We're on a tight schedule."

Jax leaned in closer, his voice barely a whisper. "Engfa, maybe you're just being paranoid. This could be nothing. Maybe the guy was just shopping or doing something completely unrelated to you."

I shook my head, my instincts telling me otherwise. "I don't think so. This feels wrong."

Jax sighed, his concern evident. "We shouldn't get involved in something we don't understand."

I looked at him, understanding his caution but feeling a deep need to uncover the truth. "If it's nothing, then fine. But what if it's not? What if this is connected to something bigger?"

Before Jax could respond, his phone vibrated again. It was Leon, with an update. "I still can't trace the vehicle."

As we listened intently, Jax leaned closer and whispered, "Engfa, they haven't mentioned Charlotte's father or his business. They sound more like dealers or maybe smugglers."

I frowned, my mind racing. "Then why was that man following us earlier? Why was he watching us? That's not normal."

Just then, one of the men inside the warehouse looked around suspiciously, raising his hand to signal for silence. "Quiet," he ordered, his voice low and commanding.