Chapter 25 : Confronting the Unknown

The next morning, I found myself standing outside the door to Charlotte's father's office, taking a deep breath before knocking. The door opened almost immediately, and he called out, "Come in."

I stepped inside, closing the door gently behind me. He was on the phone, gesturing for me to take a seat. Hesitating for a moment, I finally sat down, my eyes carefully observing him as he finished his call. I couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable, unsure of why he had called me here.

After a few moments, he hung up the phone and leaned back in his chair, studying me. Then he stood up and walked over to a nearby cabinet, opening it to reveal an assortment of bottles. "Would you like a drink?" he asked, holding up a bottle of whiskey.

"No, thank you," I replied politely, shaking my head.

He raised an eyebrow, clearly not taking no for an answer. "This is a fine bottle of whiskey," he explained, pulling out a crystal decanter. "Aged for twenty-five years. Quite a treat."

He poured a glass and placed it in front of me, then poured one for himself. I glanced at the amber liquid, feeling a bit uncomfortable but not wanting to seem rude. I picked up the glass and took a small sip, the burn of the alcohol surprising but not unpleasant.

"So," I began, trying to get to the point. "What did you want to discuss with me?"

He swirled his drink in the glass, watching the liquid catch the light before taking a long sip. "I was impressed with how you handled yourself last night, particularly your comments on investments. You have a good head on your shoulders."

I nodded, unsure of where this was leading. "Thank you."

He walked over to his desk and picked up a file, handing it to me. "I have an investment opportunity I'm considering. I'd like your opinion on it."

I frowned, flipping through the pages. The report detailed a complex investment plan with various financial strategies and risk assessments. "What exactly do you want me to do with this?" I asked, looking up at him.

"I want your honest opinion," he replied, pouring himself another drink.

I laughed softly, shaking my head. "It's not that simple. To give you a proper assessment, I'd need to understand everything from A to Z. The company's financial health, market conditions, the specifics of the investment, potential risks, and rewards. I'd need access to all relevant data and time to analyze it thoroughly."

He swirled his drink, taking a thoughtful sip before responding. "I see. And how long do you think it would take you to provide such an assessment?"

I leaned back in my chair, considering his question. "It depends on the complexity of the investment and the availability of information."

He nodded, looking contemplative. "You're very thorough, Engfa. That's good. I like that."

I tilted my head slightly, trying to gauge his intentions. "Why are you asking me for this? Don't you have a team of financial advisors?"

He smiled, a hint of something unreadable in his eyes. "Yes, but I want a fresh perspective. Someone who isn't influenced by our internal dynamics. Someone I can trust to be honest."

I felt a flicker of pride at his words but remained cautious. "I appreciate your confidence in me, but I still think you'd need someone with more experience in this field."

He raised an eyebrow, his expression inscrutable. "You underestimate yourself, Engfa. I have a feeling you're more capable than you give yourself credit for."

I took another sip of the whiskey, letting his words sink in. "I'll need access to all the relevant data, then. And I'll need time."

"Of course," he said, leaning forward and handing me a folder. "Here are the initial details. I'll have my team send you everything else you need."