6

THE COURTIER
♡  Ugene

Perhaps I lost all of my sanity and control over the next two days in a row. Countless hours of writing down words in German and the same word in English. My idea was to make a book for Josephine to study all the German words and go through all of them one on one.

Two days. It takes me two days to finish the book. Two days with no sleep, but it was all worth it. The moment Josephine came to me that day, I knew I could not pass up the moment to speak to her. When I caught her walking away, something in me knew I could not let her slip through my fingers and we would still be strangers.

She chose me. She chose me out of all the people to teach her, to be next to her. I refused to look at my reflection in the mirror, I refuse to realize how badly I have succumbed to a lady. The maddening lady has become my obsession, so much that they would have to lock me up to get away from her.

Upon entering the basement, baskets are prepped neatly for upcoming maids that are scheduled to bring forth the freshly washed and folded clothing to whomever. The Queen's basket is prepped in a basket, set to the side to make sure it does not get lost with others, I set the letter I had wrote to Josephine on top of the clothing, swiftly moving my merry way onto my next destination which would be to Jaxson's office where he has asked for me.

I knocked two times, awaiting the King's approval to enter. In which he does, I enter with my hands behind my back and bowing to his presence.

A sly smirk plasters on his face, and he tilts his head. "Ugene, we are friends, are we not?"

"Yes, your majesty." I nod to him, gazing upon his eyes in respect. An encounter I've learned- more so, forced to learn.

"So, why are you bowing to me?"

"It is a form of respect, Sir."

"Jaxson," he reminds me of his name, and I give him another stiff nod. He stands from his desk, rounding it and coming forth in front of me. He places his hands in front of him, folding them. "How is the training coming along with the new guards?"

"Good." I am short and quick. I wish to not give him the honest answer just because I do not wish to stress him out when he is helping Arabella prepare for Serena's upcoming wedding.

He raises a brow. "Just good?" He knows I am lying through my teeth. He knows everything. He is the King, of course.

I bite the inner side of my cheek before replying. "They shall need more work."

He hums, liking the sound of my newest answer. He rubs his palm over his jaw, pacing through the room. "I need well trained men. I do not wish to disturb anyone, but I need trained guards in case of war. The ruler of India is not my greatest friend as of right now, he wishes for start something he is not ready for."

"Have you spoken to Mrs. Arabella about this?" My words slip out of my mouth before I can process.

Jaxson shakes his head. "I am not planning to tell her until after Serena and Bridger's wedding. Bridger is well aware, but he is sure that the ruler of India will not test me."

"What does he wish for or it is war?"

"He wished for me to marry his daughter, but I chose Arabella. I believe he wishes to have power here as well and take over the lands."

"Let us pray he does not start a war. It will not end well on his part. You have highly trained guards, I might make sure you and Arabella are kept safe," I exclaim in all seriousness.

"I trust you to keep this information." Jaxson nods.

"With my life."

Josephine