7

THE COURTIER
Josephine

"I shall lose weight," Serena suddenly lets out, standing on a stool as she gets dressed in wedding dresses that Arabella has made for her to try.

Arabella is behind her, and looks at her through the mirror. "What?!"

Serena chomps on a carrot, shrugging. "None of these fit me as well as I wish for them to. Do you think I should lose a bit of weight?"

"You look wonderful in all of them, Serena," Ruth now speaks, sitting upon the couch along with me as I keep up with their chatter, but also looking through my book that Ugene had written up for me. "You do not have to lose weight. You will be sick if you do."

Ruth has been around the palace a lot lately. She has grown close to the royal sisters, and Jaxson has welcomed her in the palace anytime. We have learned a lot about Ruth over time.

She once had an abusive husband whom Serena had deceased their marriage and made them divorce after a moment of seeing the two. Ruth loves the bake, even after the mishap from the fire last winter.

Ruth was very much positive with everything that the royal sisters do. She was their second opinion on anything, or possibly third. I was simply around to hear their gossip and be with Arabella in case she needed anything.

The royal sisters turn to me. Serena has her hands over her hips, and Arabella eyes me.

"What do you think, Josephine?" Serena suddenly turns the question to me.

I am utterly speechless, and stutter to gain words. "I-You look beautiful. I do not see why you wish to lose weight when all of the dresses truly make you look like a princess."

Arabella smiles at me gently. "That is my girl."

"Do not make me come over there to kiss you, Josie." Serena points at me, warning.

Ruth giggles. "Josephine is absolutely correct in this matter, you really do look like a princess."

"Bridger will fall in love all over again," Arabella intertwined.

Serena sighs, staring at herself in the mirror. Her hands run over my bottom and turn in the mirror. "I do look beautiful..."

We all smile at her in hopes of picking the right dress for her big day.

"Shall I go gather Bridger and wish for his opinion?" Ruth teases, beginning to stand from the couch and Serena turns, pointing at her.

"Do not!" She gasps.

"You know, you never told me the story of what he told you when he proposed," Arabella now cuts in, causing Serena to step down from the stool and lift her dress while she walks to the table with treats and tea.

"Yes, do tell," Ruth says.

"It all happened so suddenly. One moment, I am running after him and the next, he is there like I had hoped he would be," Serena explains, twirling her spoon, mixing the milk and pouring it into her tea.

"So romantic," Ruth sarcastically breathes out, but deep down we all knew she was happy for Serena. Ruth holds a warm smile to her friend and Serena shares the same.

"What about you?" Serena retorts, gaining Arabella's attention from her sewing.

"What about me?"

"Have you not thought about getting married again?"

"Is that even allowed?" Ruth giggles.

Arabella lifts her head. "It is if you wish. I am sick of these old rules that the last rulers have made. If you find a suitor that you truly love and wish to marry him, then why not?"