9

THE COURTIER
Josephine

Birds chirp above us, the sun shines brightly between the trees on either side of us. Ugene and I stand tall beside each other as we trail through the woods that lead us to the village.

We are speaking in German, helping me learn more words than before.

"Erzähl mir mehr von dir," Ugene speaks through his heavy voice. He holds my gaze, seeming to be interested in knowing more about myself.

Tell me more of yourself.

I choose this moment in speaking about Beth whom would be so thankful to me for this.

"I, Um- Ich habe eine Schwester, die ebenfalls für den Palast arbeitet, Beth," I shared with a slight smile on my face and his eyes soften. I do hope I did not mispronounce any words, but he did not take any action in correcting me.

I have a sister whom works for the palace as well, Beth.

"Sie ist eine Puppe." She is a doll.

"And what would you say about yourself?" He tilts his head in wonder, and my throat gets choked up by mouth words.

"I-"

"Miss. Josephine, I already know about your sister. Much to dismay, she is not here currently and I did not ask about her. I asked about you."

"You asked about myself. Beth is a part of my life," I explained suddenly.

He pierces his lips together, nodding-letting me continue on what I was wishing to say further about my sister.

"She is hardworking, and strong minded," I share.

"It seems as if you are close with her, no?"

That has me stopping in my tracks. No, Beth and I were not as close as I wished to be, and that could possibly be my fault in some ways, but I was trying.

My cheeks flush, and with the shake of my head, he has his answer. He looks ahead of him. "I see," he responds.

"You like books, what kind of books do you love to read?" He changes the topic, and I silently thank him with a smile.

The list of my books started from romance and ended with mystery. Perhaps, all of my books were filled with nothing but romance. It was silly, really, when I could not even speak to such gentlemen without becoming a stuttering mess or blushing, but I loved to watch other people fall in love or read about it.

Perhaps, it could help me one day.

"If I am not studying other languages in my books, I am reading romance books. It is a rather silly thing to do, but I do enjoy it," I explain with a reddened face.

"Romance?" He repeats, tilting his head and has an amused expression falling upon that face of his.

"You can laugh, I do not mind." I fall into laughter of my own. "What about yourself?"

"What about me?" He questions.

"Do you read?"

He shakes his head. "I have a set things to do on my list- whom I am supposed to be."

"Well, what is on that list of yours?"

"Protect the King at all costs, do not speak unless spoken to and given the request, it is something I have been taught."

"That does not seem fun," I pout.

He smirks. "You do not think so?"

"It is something you were taught to do, not something you wish to do. I am the Queen's courtier, even I can find some fun in my job. You deserve happiness too, Ugene," I exclaim.