33

THE COURTIER
Josephine

Upon Rafe's departure, he now knew about Ugene and I along with Beth's plan. Before he left, he told me how sorry he felt for me for having to go through this whole commotion, but the only one I felt sorry for was my sister whom I have let down.

Entering the now quiet and peaceful palace, I step up to the stairs, trying to get to my room in one room without breaking down. Upon passing Arabella's room, I overheard her chatter with her own sister.

"What do you suppose as to why Ugene acted that way toward Duke Velmont?" Arabella questions, pacing back and forth in the dim light of her room.

Serena sighs. "He has possibly gone mad. That is all."

Arabella stops, glaring at her older sister. "You know something."

"I do not." Serena laughs.

"You do. Tell me. It seems as if everyone around me knows something I do not. Jaxson better not know of this too," she exclaims, sighing aloud.

She was tired of the lies and secrets, but so was I.

"Ugene is smitten by Josephine," Serena spills the truth and it has me closing my eyes. How did she know?! Did Ugene tell her?

"Pardon?" Arabella pauses in her tracks.

"Was it not obvious enough?" Serena is filled with giggles and suddenly I hear footsteps that are coming up the stairs, so I make haste to my own room, shutting the door quietly with my back facing the door.

I needed sleep. Getting ready for bed, I undress myself into a white, sheer gown. My candle is the only light that shines through my room until I blow it out before laying my head on my pillow.

My mind could not rest though, it was solely on the gentleman that sleeps across from me. Ugene has gone mad. unhinged, crazy even. He's not in his right mind set after I broke his heart in two.

I could not sleep. Not a wink was stolen, my room in the palace was quite small, but it was to my liking, from the Queen's approval.

I was beyond grateful for Arabella to let me stay, but I was not certain of myself when realizing Ugene stays in the palace too.

My room was silent, dark and cold. I left no fire to burn, no candle to flame in the room. All that was heard was myself breathing and counting sheep in my head to fall asleep. Though I could not.

Not when Ugene was under the same roof as I.

How could I have hurt him? I was so selfish reasoning with Beth. I loved my sister so, but departing from Ugene dug the knife deeper.

Thinking about him, my eyes welled up with unforeseen tears that would leave me tired for tomorrow's work. Another sleepless night in the kingdom of Lockwood.

The door of my room creaks, it's a terrifying sound, slow and awaited until the door closes again and I'm left in the room with the person of the unknown.
Who dared to come to me during the night?

Hoping it was Arabella, I lifted my head and met the eyes of an unwell Ugene. His dark ocean blue eyes glisten in the night sky, beaming through my window and catching my breath from within me.

He stands there in all his glory. A buttoned up white shirt that isn't clasped together on is him, dark brown trousers are paired, and his shirt is not tucked in properly.

This man was something I did not truly recognize. Ugene was proper. Always went by the rules, had a list of his duties, calm and collected was the man that used to be stood in front of me.