10

THE COURTIER
Ugene

Footsteps are loud and alarming me from my slumber. My brows furrow when looking over my bedside and lifting my pocket watch, my eyes bulging at the time. I was late.

How was that possible?

Ugene Chesire is never late.

The second I witness the time, I am out of bed and making my bed, making sure there are no creases to my concern. I get dressed, and the time ticks faster than ever and I am running out of my room, bypassing the maids of the palace. My dress shirt was halfway buttoned, and my belt was loose- not even buckled. My shirt was not even tucked in, and that had the ladies standing in wonder at why the King's courtier was a mess today.

My eyes find Josephine's doe eyes, and she stops in her tracks from moving any further- watching me pass her with a nod and make haste towards the King's office.

She is the reason. She is the reason as to why my schedule is setting off, and my world is tilting, causing my whole world to crumble and my knee buckles at her mercy.

Buttoning my shirt and belt, I tuck my shirt into my trousers before I enter Jaxson's office. I knock, and enter when approved of. Jaxson is writing something down in the process, looking up at my being.

He does not notice anything off by me, and I place my hands behind my back- in my soldier form as always and he stands.

"We have much to do," Jaxson says and the world finally sizzles down, and I'm now focused on the task in front of me.

But Josephine Castings is always there in the back of my mind, reminding me that she was still there.

Josephine

The village is quite noisy this evening. It was hot. It had every lady around fanning themselves with their hand fan, and gentlemen taking their hats off to wipe the sweat from their forehead.

We were going to a cloth shop for Arabella, she wished to shop for her own fabric and such, not needing another person to choose for her. Guards were lined up around us as I stood behind the two sisters whom speak to each other.

Everyone in the village bows to the royal sisters, some even get down on all fours, their way of bowing in respect of their Queen and Arabella waves at her people. I can tell she missed being in the village, but her home was in the palace with Jaxson.

Guards stand outside of the shop, waiting for us and in waiting for anyone that would harm the Queen. The shop is nearly empty with the owner asking Arabella if she needed anything.

My eyes filter over the other shops, and find a small library across the street. Arabella turns, watching me gawk at all of the books.

"Go," she tells me.

I look back at her, shaking my head. "No, my duty is here."

"No, your heart is over there. Go, I will be alright." She gently smiles, and our conversation has Serena looking back, shooing me away in a way that has me giggling.

I exit the shop in a hurry, crossing the busy street safely and enter the library. The little old lady that owns it lifts her head in hopes of catching the Queen, but it is just me.

I send her a sweet smile, and she leaves me be in peace.

Books. A million books sit around me. I knew Arabella had a library that had many more books than this little shop had, but I wished to have my own copy of a masterpiece. I flip through a few books, some not interesting to me until the door opens and a few people enter.