26

THE COURTIER
Ugene

Josephine is stuck with the Queen and Serena gathering on plans for her wedding while I am yearning to be near Josephine yet again. I cannot take the longing stares from across the room anymore, I am not hiding from the world as anyone else would do.

I would become a mad man if so.

Jaxson wished for alone time in his study room, and I headed back into my room to be alone. My hands itched to draw, and that is the first thing I do when entering my room. Taking my pencil, I trace out her body; naked body- one that I cannot seem to get out of my mind. I have memorized her laughter, her smile, her moans, what makes her shutter against me.

Before I know it, I am in my room for hours to perfect her image on paper, leaving everyone wondering where the King's courtier could be.

The door is knocked on, and it opens suddenly. I look up with crazed eyes, standing from my chair with my drawing in hand. A lady maid enters, stopping when she finds my eyes and fear erupts her face, and she stutters out words as an excuse as to why she entered without my approval.

She has my basket of clothing that she had prepped for me, and her eyes cast downward to the paintings and drawing I have drawn out. "Ugene, I-I-"

"Get. Out."

Her eyes linger on the paper that I have in my hand, her eyes taking in my drawing I was working on. Her mouth opens wide, closing and repeating like a fish out of water.

She looks at me in fear, eyes watering- backing away quickly and dropping my basket on my floor before taking off downstairs. I breathe, pinching the bridge of my nose, yanking my basket of clothing and tossing them to the side.

The lady most likely thought of me as a crazed man, but I did not care. I did not bother to run after her to tell her to keep quiet. My steps lead me out of my room where I slam my bedroom door shut, trailing down the hall where the royal couple slumbers. Arabella's clothing room is cracked open, allowing me to bear through to find Arabella whom is standing behind Serena, holding her hand with a pin in her mouth. 

She was so beautiful. I lean against the frame, fisting my hands to stop myself from reaching in the room and stealing her away so I could be the one she is spending time with.

"You still have not spoken to us about this gentleman..." Serena utters aloud and has me perking up. Was it  me? Did she tell the royal sisters about me? "Are you in love, Josie?"

"I-I-" Say it.

"Do not do that to her, Serena," Arabella bickers. "But please do tell us about the gentleman. Is he kind to you? Why haven't you brought him to the palace?"

Because he is right here.

"He is kind." Josephine blushes, and it has me smirking. My eyes soften on her reflection in the mirror as she looks at herself with such wonder. "I can hardly believe he wishes for me. He terrifies me in a way because how much my feelings are deepening the longer we spend time together."

"Oh, Josephine. You are smitten." Serena's laughter can be heard from the hall.

"That sounds like love," Arabella sings out, batting her eyelashes at the petite girl.

Love.

A deep affection towards another; one that I found myself involved with Josephine Castings. My mind never slept from the thoughts of her, my eyes always seem to draw near her presence, and when I finally had her in the nights of our arrangement, it was pure bliss.

We both had a deep affection towards each other. I knew it, I have witnessed the look on her face as she looks up at me with such adoration that could have a man falling to his knees at her mercy.