31

THE COURTIER
Josephine

I wished for home. My mother and Nolan must worry about Beth and I. With Arabella's approval, she has allowed me to leave the palace and travel to the village where my mother lives. The trail towards the village moves along as the wind picks up, causing the leaves to swirl around my whole being.

I had begged Beth to come along with me, but she was not ready to see them just yet. I felt so lost, it was beyond repair. I constantly felt the looming presence of Ugene who made it clear that he was near. I had to find an escape from the palace for a day.

I was still in shock at Ugene's action from yesterday. Though he did not cause any harm to my sister, he took away her precious hair. Any lady knows how precious their hair means to them. I still needed to have a talk with him.

But how could I after my lie and betrayal?

The wind picks up quicker than before, and I suddenly hear a stick being cracked like someone had walked on it. Turning, I lurk my surroundings for anyone who may be walking towards the village as well. No one. The woods were quiet as ever, only the wind making a whistle sound as it picked up.

Something runs in the deep woods, distracting from what is behind me, and I keep turning to find the perpetrator. No one. Perhaps, an animal playing games with me?

The hair on the back of my neck picks up, and it makes my breathing shaky. He was here.

My body always reacts this way when he is around or lurking near. I can already feel his eyes on me through the woods, but the most terrifying part of it all is I did not know where he was.

My feet carry me swiftly through the mud, clutching at my chest before I set my legs for a run, quickly arriving at the village in no time. My breathing is heavy as I look back to the darkened woods, realizing the clouds have loomed over the earth and it has started to rain. The hood of my cloak rises over my head, covering it from the droplets of water when I move along the village shops and towards my home.

My home.

Such a strange word since I have not lived here since moving into the Kingdom of Lockwood. My eyes tear up at the sight of the wooden shack my father had built for all of us at one time in our lives when we were happy...

Smoke comes out of the top of the house, and I can soon smell the scent of my brother and mother which has my lips lifting into a smile.

The door of the house opens, and Nolan exits with a cream colored apron with a little dirt smearing upon it. He dusts off his white hands, covered in flour and looks up, realizing they have a visitor. My shoulders drop, and I let out a breath when I meet the eyes of my older brother whom does the same.

We stay like that for a while, taking in each other and I do not complain.

"Josephine," he mutters, his eyes twitching with tears. He cannot believe I am standing before him.

I breathe out, walking towards him. "Nolan," I greet, with my arms spread open and round them across his neck. His hands are against my waist, pulling my close and seizing me for a hug. "How good it is to see you."

"You do not realize how much I have missed you..." His voice is muffled, but I can hear every word just fine. He tips his head in the corner of my neck. He raises his head, sharing a sweet smile. His hair has grown rather quickly since my departure, I mess his freshly gelled hair.

"You have grown a beard." My hand reaches up to touch it, but I am pulled away in a swift move. The air gets knocked out of me when I turn to look at Ugene whom carries his anger upon his face, letting Nolan see his madness.