39

THE COURTIER
Josephine

Church bells ring indicating to Lockwood that the Princess is to be wedded. Serena and Bridger's big day is today, and Serena was surely showing her nerves as she paces the room with her white dress that Arabella had sewn for her as I tried to pin pearls in her hair that I had curled for her. She fiddles with her fingers, breathing out. Arabella enters the room, holding a cup of herbal tea for her sister.

She hands the glass cup to her sister, and Serena takes it kindly. Arabella speaks to her sister through the mirror. "Breathe, Serena. Bridger loves you, this time around is much different than the first."

Serena was terrified that this time Bridger would run from the altar this time, but surely Bridger knew better when he worked so hard to have her hand in the first place.

"You are beautiful, Serena. He will be speechless when he sees you," Ruth says aloud.

Serena reaches for her hand, looking at all of us with grateful smiles. "I love you ladies. Thank you for helping me with everything and including my nerves."

"It happens." Ruth laughs.

"Nerves are common before your big day." Arabella grabs her sister's arms, rubbing them soothingly.

"You should have allowed me to at least speak to Bridger, I wouldn't have been so full of nerves like I am now."

"I know," Arabella agrees. "I just wish everything to be perfect."

"Thank you." Serena smiles at her sister.

"That is why I have a surprise for you..." Arabella smirks just as Ruth meets her own knowing smirk. The Queen walks her sister to the door, cracks it, pushing Serena to the wall so no one on the other side could witness her.

"What is going on?" Serena questions her little sister.

"Serena..." Bridger's voice spreads aloud in the room and it sounds like he is the hall, his arms reaching inside, reaching for his bride. His eyes are away, staring at the hall in front of him. "I had to speak with you, baby."

Serena breathes out, reaching for his hand and intertwining their hands together. I tilt my head in awe at the two being so in love, it has my mind reaching to Ugene. How would he be if we....

"I am so nervous," Serena cries.

"Do not run on me." Amusement is filled in his voice and she shakes her head even though he cannot see her.

"Never," she whispers to him. I can tell she wishes to further look into the hall to see him. His thumb rubs her hand, and it has her relaxing. "I love you, I love you so much, Bridger Cunningham."

"And I love you," he whispers back soothingly.

I walk away, my stomach feeling queasy from the couple being so in love and it fuming the air. Holding onto my stomach, I find the swirls of my dress as a way to calm my own nerves. A hand touches my shoulder and I look up to find Ruth whom sends a soft smile.

"I know that look all too well..." She trails. "I may not have all the answers, but whatever has you down, you must know that you are not alone in this. You have us ladies to help you with anything, do not be afraid to tell us anything."

I eyed the couple still at the door before Serena lets go of his hand and he slips away from her. She fans her face from any tears that are threatening to fall.

She laughs, wiping under her eyes. "Wow, it must be really dusty in here."

A knock on the door is presented and the door opens further to reveal the royal sister's parents. Ruth and I knew it was the right moment to leave before the wedding begins, and before we leave the room, a voice stops me.