28

THE COURTIER
Josephine

The ball that was all that the palace talked about was today. All of the maids and including myself worked so hard  for this ball to be better than all of the rest. As I stare at my own reflection in the mirror, I smile at myself. I am standing in a beautiful ball gown that Arabella sewn for me. Me.

The Queen was nice enough to share her friendship with me, but to sew me a dress? That was the next level.

Too bad Ruth was not able to come tonight, we would miss her dearly. Her and balls do not correlate, I assume she is afraid, but I do not know her story and I do not wish to push her on that subject.

I am wearing a light blue dress with a truffle side. My hair is put back in a slick back bun with a flower pin in the middle. My pearl earrings match the set as they dangle from my ears, I give myself another smile, smoothing out my dress.

To top the whole attire, my gloves are slapped against my hands, reaching my elbows. I looked like a Princess, but Serena was made for that title.

My feet lead me to the door, opening and closing it behind me. I take in Ugene whom is doing the same. His curly hair sits on top of his head, his mustache gelled upward as his lips mimic the action.

His black suit is what has me lurking on his being, a cream color bow tie fits against his neck. He has a soft boyish look on him, and he steps one step towards me as I do the same to him until we both meet in the middle.

His eyes linger over my dress and I twirl with a soft smile to get his reaction. His jaw clenches, and he fists his hands.

"You are pulchritudinous," Ugene compliments as his eyes eat me whole.

"You look dapper this evening." My hands reach for his bow tie, fixing the lean. He steals a quick kiss, his lips faltering into a quick smile.

I've come to the realization that he only ever smiles for me. No one else.

"Shall we?" Ugene reaches his hand out, it showing a bit of red from him squeezing so hard. My hand fits inside his, but it misses the skin on skin feeling. He takes my hand, caressing over it. He looks down before sharing another one of his knee weakening smiles.

Ugene and I descend from the stairs, walking towards the ballroom. Guards are lined up on the sides of the closed doors and I can hear the classical music from the outside.

I intake a breath. "Is it wrong to wish to hide away in my room and never return?"

With the shake of his head, he lets out a chuckle. "I do wish that too. I am here though, I will not leave your side tonight. My promise to you." Ugene then nods to the guards whom stand by the doors, and they open them just as I let Ugene's hand loose. The doors open, revealing the well decorated ballroom that is glimmering with diamonds of glory on the ceilings.

People from all over the city and village have come to this particular ball, and all of their eyes are on Ugene and I. We both cut a look to each other, and Ugene nods for me to walk, I soon put my feet to work and walk towards the wall, reaching for a wine plate that has glasses filled with wine on the plate.

Ugene catches it before I can, and winks swiftly. "No lifting tonight. You are to enjoy this evening."

"Ugene..." I go to bicker but a voice stops us.

"I can see the two of you are becoming friendly," Bridger appears as his quick remark has us freezing. Serena is on his arm, eyeing me with a look as if she can see through me.