Chapter 42 : Failure

As Frost and Alexander made their way to the base where Gama was watching out for gargoyles, Dr. Saziji jumped out. "Did you get the phoenix's tears? I beg of you, tell me you did."

Alexander's arrogance grew. "I believe that we ha—wait, did you just say phoenix... TEARS?"

Frost slapped Alexander. "You idiot! Why did I even trust you? We needed tears, NOT A DAMN FEATHER, YOU BRAINLESS—"

As Frost jumped on Alexander, they began fighting like children before Dr. Saziji split them up. "Wait, you said phoenix feather? That might not be as good, but it might work."

Frost was holding Alexander in a chokehold, not letting him breathe. "You sure, Sensei? You taught me everything about medicine and you didn't mention anything about winging it."

As Dr. Saziji started to speak, Alexander gagged and the phoenix blood he had swallowed came out of his mouth.

Dr. Saziji said, "Wait, is that phoenix blood?" He immediately put some in a vial. As he ran inside, Frost threw Alexander aside like a cat before they both ran inside.

Dr. Saziji said, "Phoenix blood is the rarest medicine in the world. I've only had it once, but I'm sure this will cure your sister Ashley."

Alexander replied, "I hope so too... then I'll knock some sense into her."

Frost looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "You need some sense in your own brain to do that."

Dr. Saziji quickly began preparing the phoenix blood, mixing it with various herbs and compounds from his extensive collection. Frost and Alexander watched anxiously as the doctor worked with precision and urgency.

Minutes felt like hours as the room filled with the sound of clinking glass and bubbling potions. Finally, Dr. Saziji turned to them, holding a small vial of shimmering liquid. "This is it. This should cure Ashley," he said, his voice steady but filled with hope.

Frost and Alexander followed Dr. Saziji to Ashley's room. She lay there, pale and unconscious, her breathing shallow. Dr. Saziji carefully administered the potion, tilting her head back and pouring the liquid into her mouth.

For a few tense moments, nothing happened. Then, slowly, color began to return to Ashley's cheeks. Her breathing steadied, and her eyes fluttered open. "Ashley," Alexander whispered, tears welling up in his eyes.

Ashley looked around, disoriented but alive. "What... what happened?" she asked weakly.

"You were very sick, but you're going to be okay now," Dr. Saziji reassured her. "Thanks to your brother and Frost."

Ashley managed a small smile but then saw Alexander. Her expression darkened. "Alexander, what are you doing here?"

Alexander stepped forward, a mixture of relief and guilt on his face. "I'm sorry, Ashley. I should have been more careful."

Ashley glared at him. "You always mess things up, Alex. Why can't you do anything right?" She looked away from him.

Frost put a hand on Alexander's shoulder. "He came through in the end. That's what matters."

Dr. Saziji looked at the siblings with a smile. "Now, she needs to rest and recover. The potion is powerful, but it will take time for her to regain her full strength."

As they left Ashley to rest, Frost turned to Alexander. "We still have a lot to learn and a lot to do. But for now, let's make sure we're better prepared for whatever comes next."

Alexander nodded, trying to shake off Ashley's harsh words. "Agreed. Let's not make the same mistakes again." He signaled for them to leave the room as he grabbed a chair and went to Ashley.