•27•

Jaemin's POV (Flashback)

After being heartbroken in high school, I just couldn't bring myself to find someone else.

The truth is, I was looking for someone like her, but she is truly one of a kind.

I graduated with top grades in my batch and managed all my family business in LA, which was initiated by Taeyong as it was his dream to establish a strong base for our company here in the West. Now I want to fulfill that dream.

Everything was going smoothly; the company was earning good profits, and I never really planned on going back to Korea. But as they say, life doesn't always go as planned.

It all started when I heard that my best friend had died in a terrible accident. I was devastated by the news, so I gave two days' leave to all my employees and mourned for him.

Thoughts of Y/n came to my mind first, but I just couldn't gather the courage to contact her after so many years, no matter how worried I was for her.

Therefore, I asked my dad to talk with her father, and this way I kept myself updated on her.

After almost a month from that incident, one night I was traveling to my apartment from work.

I saw a grocery store on the way, which was only an alley away, so I stopped my car on the side to get some. Just as I got out of the car and entered the alley, someone shoved me towards the wall with his forearm, holding me against the wall by my chest, and a gun in his other hand right on my forehead.

He was wearing a black cap and a mask; only his eyes were visible, and I was able to make them out in the dimly lit alley. My eyes widened as I recognized who he was.

Those eyes also mirrored my expressions. My hand went to take off his mask but stopped midway as we heard footsteps coming towards us. He pushed me to the side and quickly ran away.

That day I didn't sleep a wink. All night, the sight of him kept replaying in my mind.

Tomorrow I will make sure who those people were, especially him.

The next day on my way to the office, I got a message from an unknown number.

I opened it once I reached my office. My eyebrows furrowed at what was written.

"Go back to Korea, you have someone to take care of."

My breath became shallow once I thought about who it was, but I still questioned him back.

"Who are you? And why should I go back? Who are you talking about?"

My phone buzzed after a couple of minutes.

"Don't play dumb! You know who I am talking about. And you surely owe me your life now, so just do as I say."

I felt guilty for not going to her, and it felt as if heaven is giving me a second chance to make it all up.

I took the flight to Korea the very next day, but still, I somehow wasn't meeting her but was keeping tabs on her. Making sure she was safe and talked with her father without letting her know.

Then one day he asked me to marry her if she agrees, that too in front of my mom.

She forced me to meet her then, even if we won't get together, she told me to fulfill my responsibility as a friend.

Although no one knew about him except me. After that day, neither he contacted me nor could I. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do when meeting her after all these years.

But when I finally met her and saw the sadness in her eyes, my heart ached. When she wrapped her arms around my neck while dancing for the first time, I realized that the love I had buried deep down has coursed back up with full force, and this time I am not planning on letting her go.

End of flashback

We just arrived here in LA, we headed towards a cafe I used to visit on an almost daily basis. Oh, I missed the air so much. But when my eyes fell on her resting her hand on the window with her head resting on her hand and feeling the breeze of the night, with the street lights and light music playing in the background.