•31•

Author's POV 

She ran to see who it was, but the door was already forcefully opened with a loud bang. 

Revealing her husband, she stopped in her tracks and looked back. She saw him and finally realized that this wasn't a dream. 

"Confused" was an understatement to describe what she felt. Soon, she felt dizzy, and her vision blurred before she finally passed out. 

Luckily, Jaemin was quick to catch her. Renjun also ran to her but stopped, realizing he didn't have the right to care for her now. 

Jaemin glared at Renjun before checking on her for any injuries and picked her up in a bridal style. 

He turned around to leave. 

"You can leave when she gains consciousness," Renjun said, followed by a long silence. 

"She doesn't need to know. This can just be a dream for her,"
he replied, his voice stern. 

"She deserves to know, more than anyone,"
his voice softened in the end, feeling guilty for what he did.

Now he didn't want to do more wrong to her.

"She called your name, thinking that her mind was playing tricks on her when she saw me." 

He continued with a pause. 

"Both of us know what that means, don't we, Jaemin?" 

Jaemin's jaw clenched as he looked at her unconscious figure in his arms. His eyes softened when he realized how hard it must have been for her to finally forget him. 

"I don't want her to go through all that again and find out that she was deceived all this time." 

Renjun stayed silent, knowing that he was right, but this was his last chance to make amends, although it would never be the same again. 

But looking into her eyes made him believe that he still had a heart, which only she could fix.

He didn't want her to forgive him but wanted her to know what kind of coward he was and that she deserved someone better. 

His tears fell in silence; thankfully, the man in front couldn't see them. 

"I want to apologize to her, but I don't expect her to forgive me. That's her decision, and I will be fine with that."

Jaemin took a deep breath before turning again. Renjun looked up at him in hope and pointed towards the bedroom.

"You can let her rest here."
Jaemin made his way in without a single word.

"I will let you know when she wakes up." With that, he closed the door.

Renjun just nodded. He turned around to find another man standing there, with a horrified expression on his face.

Renjun gave a sad smile and reached out his hand for a handshake.

"Hi, this is Renjun. Long time no see."

But he received a tight punch to his face and then a tight hug from the man.

"You were alive all this time," he said as he broke the hug, tears in his eyes.

"I am sorry, Chenle. I wronged all of you, especially Y/n."

Renjun made the man sit beside him on the couch.

"Why? What was your reason?" Renjun looked down with guilt, contemplating his words.

Meanwhile

Jaemin was there, looking at her sleeping figure, trying to think of ways to make her hurt less.

Because he knew this was all he could do for his friend, who had been there for him all his life, even though it would hurt his beloved, making him even more miserable.

She finally opened her eyes and called his name in almost a whisper, but loud enough for him to hear.

"Jaemin."

He became alert and checked on her.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked, worried, while she sat up straight.

Her lips curved into a smile as she looked at him. She cupped his face and gave him a peck on the lips.
"I saw a dream."

He listened while holding her hands, his eyes never leaving her.
"I saw you, but I saw him too, you know... Renjun."

He sighed, knowing it wasn't just a dream.
"By the way, Jaemin, where are we?"

She asked in an innocent voice.
"I want you to meet the owner of this place. He wants to talk to you."

She raised an eyebrow, wondering who it was and why he wanted to talk to her.

Jaemin stood up and went outside to call him.

"She is awake," he said, making Renjun stand up as he became more anxious.

He looked at Jaemin and saw him reciprocating his expressions.

Chenle patted his back, encouraging his friend. He entered the room.

Her eyes widened, and she gulped. She called Jaemin, who was standing behind him, as he came to her.

"Jaemin, do you see him too?"
she asked him, clearly scared.

"Y/N, it's Renjun." As the words left his mouth, she realized that this wasn't a dream.

The person she thought was dead was now standing in front of her, breathing.

She stared at his face, for which she was ready to give up anything to see once again.

He was standing right in front of her, awake from the dead.

All those scary nightmares, that sorrowful funeral, and all those months of feeling like there was no point in life.

What was it worth, only to realize that the person you wanted the most played a fake death game on you and left, just to start a new life as if nothing happened?

A tear left her eye as she finally realized that this wasn't a dream.

He was actually standing in front of her, alive.

"Why?" It was all she could bring herself to mutter with all the emotional turmoil she was feeling right now.