Tove - 1

The sky is raining. Tove and I have set up the camp while the others are scouting the area.

Tove: Okay, one more time!

Tove tries to burn the dried leaves we gathered using twigs. So far, this has been her fifth attempts.

Tove: Ey! O-One more!

Tove spins the stick faster only for a tiny puff of smoke to come out from the bottom of the wood. A big wind passes through and shut down her effort, nature can be quite mischievous sometime.

Tove: No way. All that spinning and the fire won't come out.

She turns to me with teary eyes.

Tove: Survivalist, help!

Since Tove was really excited to start a fire using her method, I stood watching on the side. But it can't be helped now since mother nature decides to pull a frank on her.

Commander: Don't worry, I've got a backup plan right here.

I take out a lighter from my pocket.

Tove: Eh? But the leaves are wet. Are you sure the lighter will be enough?

Commander: We're not going to start the fire first using the leaves.

The lighter I have with me has a tape wrapping around its body. That is my emergency fire source, the material should be able to burn nicely even in the rain. I unwrap a part of the tape and throw it into the middle of the bonfire as tinder.

Shortly afterward, fire begins to grow.

Commander: There you go.

Tove: Survivalist, that's....that's really smart! Taping your own lighter so you'd always have the right material to ignite a fire!

Commander: It came from the documentary you lent me.

Tove: Oh, it did? Hehehe! I see, you watched it.

While waiting for others to return, I tell Tove about the survival skills I've learned from the documentary.