Snow White - 1 (Lost)

I retrieve the combat knife from the lifeless corpse of a Crawler and pull out its core. Making my way through a couple floors to the top of the building, my handgun is ready to intercept the enemies' presence.

Commander: ....clear.

I scan around the empty floor while muttering quietly to myself. I miss having a conversation with someone else on the surface. The reception here is zero, radio can't work. Alva Particles interference is not that high, but it surely cracks the limit of my equipment. I can't get into any form of communication.

The view I get on the rooftop is a sight to behold.

A post-apocalyptic city stretching as far as the eyes can see. An electricity-free rendition of the Ark, dominate by the prospering vegetation and wild plants. At the moment, the Sun is its natural light, it helps me spot a couple wandering Raptures moving across the streets. The place is big, yet the numbers of Rapture are sparse. Asides from the animals, I figure this part of the world is completely devoid of lives.

No human. No Nikkes. It's just me. Being trapped, alone and isolated in a foreign land.

The weather is calm today. Cool gusts of wind passed through me under the sunny sky. It's a huge contrast to my dire situation.

Commander: Good spot for a short stop.

Again, I talk to no one but myself. I lower my backpack to the ground, taking off the relatively unscratched bulletproof vest and leave it next to me along with the firearms and ammunition belt. I'd like to think to myself that I'm acting like one of those survivalists in the old footages I used to watch with Tove. But this isn't really as exaggerated as they portrayed it in those films, probably because it happened to a group of people instead of just one.

At this moment, Snow White's advices stick out to me. As I bite on the Splendamin bar while waiting for the mini gas stove to boil the water can, I recall one of her visits to my room at the Outpost.

Snow White: Remember that one time when you were trapped on the surface because the elevator malfunctioned?

Commander: It was an experience I could never forget.

Snow White: You managed to pull through the whole ordeal with me. Plus, you gained a few tricks along the way. But here is the question.

Commander: ???

Snow White: If you happened to be left alone on the surface due to circumstance once again, would you be able to survive on your own?

Commander: You taught me a great deals of surviving skills. I'd make sure to use them to my advantage.

Snow White: I see.

She closes her eyes in thoughts.

Snow White: To us, the surface will always be a battlefield. It's the kind of place that can easily put fear into a human. What you have been going through, I'm sure fear isn't much of a problem. What matters is things you should do in order to survive on the surface.

Commander: *Listening*

Snow White: Stay vigilant. Be resourceful. Always check your weapons. Take short rests when needed and keep moving.

Commander: I'll keep that in mind.

Snow White: *Nodding* I've seen your resolve many times over, I believe you can pull it off.

Commander: ......

Snow White: That's why.....no matter the odds, you have to survive.

I wipe something wet on my face with the sleeves. As I wait enough time, water inside the rusted can has become lukewarm. I drink half of it and store the rest in a bottle.

I have no idea where I am in the world now, I just have to keep moving until I can find my way back to them, to my precious team. I'll be sure to survive......sniff.