19.

Joe's POV

We were kissing and I felt so happy then Emma's doorbell rang. She went to answer it and before her stood a man, probably early 50s.

"Hello, Emma." The man said.  Emma said nothing and I stood next to her and rested my hand on her shoulder.

"Em?" I said.

She ran past me and into her room and shut the door. I saw the tears in her eyes as she ran. I went after her and knocked on her door.

"Em? Emma? Please let me in." I said worriedly.

She opened her bedroom door and she had tears streaming down her face.

"Oh, Emma. Babe." I said walking in her room and shutting the door behind me. She fell to the ground and pulled her knees into her chest and rested her head on her knees so she was in a little ball. I didn't say anything but pulled her closer to me and let her cry. I felt my heartbreak seeing her like this.

"I'm sorry Joe." She said. "I've ruined Christmas."

"Don't be silly, you've ruined nothing. Who was that man?" I asked still holding her tightly.

"That was my dad. I hoped I had seen the last of him." she said.

"I'm gonna make sure he's left." I said. "I'll be right back."

I left Emma's room and found her dad still standing outside her apartment door.

"Please leave." I said

"I want to see Emma." He said.

"Well she doesn't see you, mate. Just go please." I urged.

"Okay I will but please will you give her this?" He said and handed me a piece of paper. I nodded and shut the door.

I went back into Emma's room where she was wiping away her smudged makeup with a tissue.

"Oh, baby." I said pulling her onto her bed and keeping her in a hug.

"He left us. I was six years old and he just walked out on me and my mother. No reason, no explanation, no warning." she said fresh tears forming in her eyes.

I hugged her tight. "Nothing I say can make up for what he did. Come on, come and sit in the living room and I'll make you a cup of tea." I said.

I sat her down on the sofa next to a very confused looking Caspar. I gave him a I'll tell you later kind of look.  Caspar hugged her and wiped her tears from her face.

"Here Emma." Caspar said and handed her an envelope. She opened it and read a letter. A small smile formed on her lips.

"What's that Emma?" I asked as I handed her a mug of tea.

"Fancy a trip to Australia?" She said with a slight smile.

A/N: Comment your name and you might find yourself in a chapter in the near future. There will probably only be room for 2 characters. :)

Please vote if you are enjoying and leave a comment if you have anything to say or if you have any suggestions.