THIRTEEN: UNVEILING SHADOWS

Third

・❥・

The house felt emptier than usual, a cavernous void filled with echoes of memories and unspoken words. Camden sat at the kitchen table, staring at a mug of tea that had long gone cold. Her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, each one crashing into the next with a ferocity that left her breathless.

Blake entered the room, her eyes filled with concern. "Hey, you okay?" she asked softly, taking a seat across from Camden.

Camden looked up, her eyes red-rimmed from hours of crying. "I don't know, Blake. I really don't know."

Blake reached across the table, her hand resting on Camden's. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Camden nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "I just can't believe you guys lied to me. How could you think that was okay?"

Blake sighed, her expression pained. "We were scared, Cam. We didn't know how to help you, and we thought that by making up that story, it would protect you."

"Protect me?" Camden's voice rose, anger bubbling to the surface. "They kept the truth about Keira from me. They made me believe she was out there, living her life, while she was...gone."

Blake squeezed Camden's hand. "I know it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't excuse what we did. But we thought we were doing the right thing."

Camden pulled her hand away, tears streaming down her face. "I trusted you, Blake. I trusted them with everything, and you guys lied to me."

Blake stood up and moved to sit beside Camden, wrapping her arms around her sister. "I'm so sorry, Cam. I should have told you sooner. I just...I didn't know how."

Camden leaned into Blake's embrace, sobbing uncontrollably. "I miss her so much. And now I don't even have real memories of her last days. Just that stupid argument."

Blake held her tighter. "We'll get through this together. We'll remember her together, and we'll find a way to heal."

After a long moment, Camden pulled back, wiping her eyes. "I need to talk to Dr. Torres. I need to understand what happened, and I need to figure out how to move forward."

Blake nodded. "I'll be there with you every step of the way."

Later that day, Camden found herself back in Dr. Torres's office. The room was filled with the soft hum of the air conditioner and the muted colors that were meant to be soothing. She sat across from the doctor, her hands clasped tightly in her lap.

"I want to tap into something you mentioned a while ago," Dr. Torres began, his voice calm and steady. "These nightmares you've had. Is there any particular reason you think you've been having them?"

Camden swallowed hard, her throat dry. "I think...I think they're just tied to the accident. But I don't remember much. Just flashes."

Dr. Torres nodded, jotting down notes. "Flashbacks can be a part of processing trauma. What do you remember about the accident?"