NINETEEN: THE PATH WE TAKE

Nora

・❥・

"You look happy this morning," Taylor said, walking into the kitchen with her usual cheerful energy.

I was sitting at the kitchen island, eating my breakfast and feeling a rare sense of lightness. My hair was styled just right, and I had put on my cutest outfit, hoping to make a good impression. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered with anticipation, making it hard to sit still.

"Good morning," I replied with a smile that I couldn't seem to wipe off my face. "Do I?"

Taylor did her usual routine—grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl and sitting down next to me. She took a bite and looked at me with curious eyes.

"You do," she said, her voice playful. "What's the occasion? Why are you so dressed up?"

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks, the excitement mingling with a touch of nervousness. "Camden asked to hang out again."

Taylor's eyes widened with interest, her excitement mirroring my own. "Really? That's great! What are you two planning to do?"

"I'm not sure yet," I admitted, feeling the butterflies intensify. "She just said she wanted to talk more, not about the accident, but about other things. Maybe get to know each other better."

Taylor's smile grew, her eyes sparkling. "Sounds like a good idea. I'm glad you're meeting her again. You deserve some happiness."

I took another bite of my breakfast, my thoughts drifting to Camden. The anticipation of seeing her again, of possibly uncovering more about our connection, filled me with a mix of excitement and nervousness. Today was going to be a good day, I just knew it.

"How'd it go yesterday, though?" Taylor asked, leaning in with genuine curiosity.

I took a deep breath, feeling the weight of the previous day's conversation settle in my chest. "It went... well, actually. We talked a lot about the accident and how she's been dealing with everything. I explained to her how my dad had been drinking that day, and how I got into the car with him, thinking it would be safer than arguing."

Taylor nodded, her expression serious. "And how did she take it?"

"Surprisingly well," I said, still amazed by Camden's composure. "She wasn't angry at me for what happened. She understands that I didn't intend for any of it to happen. She even thanked me for reaching out and apologising."

Taylor's face softened, her eyes filled with empathy. "That must have been a relief to hear."

"It was," I admitted, the memory of Camden's words bringing a sense of comfort. "She said she could see how much it all affected me and that we're both victims of what happened. She wants to meet again, to talk more and maybe even help each other heal."