TWENTY NINE: LIGHT

Camden

・❥・

The day felt unusually bright, the kind of day where the sun's rays seem to infuse every corner of the world with warmth and light. I decided it was the perfect time to take Nora somewhere special, away from all the tension and memories. We drove in comfortable silence, heading to a secluded spot by the lake, a place where the world seemed to stand still, offering a much-needed respite.

When we arrived, I noticed the way Nora's eyes lit up at the sight of the tranquil water, surrounded by a lush canopy of trees that whispered secrets in the gentle breeze. We spread out a blanket under the shade of an ancient oak, and as we settled down, the world around us seemed to fade into the background.

For a while, we simply sat there, listening to the symphony of nature—the rustling leaves, the distant call of a bird, the gentle lapping of water against the shore. It was in these quiet moments that I found the courage to speak, to ask the questions that had been swirling in my mind.

"Nora," I began, my voice soft but steady. "How are you feeling about everything? About your dad?"

She sighed, her eyes fixed on the shimmering lake. "I don't know, Camden. It's all so confusing. Part of me wants to believe he's changed, that he's truly sorry and wants to make amends. But another part of me can't forget what happened, can't forgive so easily."

I reached out and took her hand, the warmth of her skin grounding me. "It's okay to feel that way. It's okay to be confused. You don't have to have all the answers right now."

She looked at me then, her eyes filled with a mixture of gratitude and sadness. "I just... I feel so torn. I want to move forward, to let go of the past, but it's like this weight that I can't shake off."

I squeezed her hand, offering what little comfort I could. "You're not alone in this. We'll face it together, one step at a time. You've been so strong, Nora. It's okay to lean on someone else for a change."

She leaned her head against my shoulder, and we sat like that for a while, the silence between us filled with unspoken words. I could feel her heartbeat, steady and strong, a reminder that she was here, with me, and that together we could face whatever came our way.

After some time, Nora sat up, her eyes searching mine. "Do you ever think about your sister?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

I nodded, my heart aching at the mention of Keira. "Every day. It's like this constant ache, this hole that nothing can fill. But I also remember the good times, the way she used to laugh, the way she made everything seem brighter. I hold on to those memories, because they remind me of who she was, not just how she died."

Nora's eyes welled up with tears, and she looked away, blinking them back. "I wish I could have known her," she said softly. "I wish things had been different."

I pulled her into a gentle embrace, my lips brushing against her temple. "Me too," I whispered. "But we can't change the past. All we can do is move forward, honour their memory by living the best lives we can."

She nodded against my shoulder, and we sat there for a while longer, letting the weight of our shared grief settle between us. It was a heavy burden, but somehow, sharing it made it a little lighter.

As the sun began to set, casting a golden glow over the lake, I reached into my bag and pulled out a small, wrapped package. "I have something for you," I said, handing it to her.

She looked at me, curiosity and surprise mingling in her gaze. "What is it?"

"Just a little something to remind you that you're not alone," I replied.

She unwrapped the package slowly, revealing a delicate silver necklace with a small, heart-shaped pendant. Inside the pendant was a tiny picture of us, taken on one of our first outings together.

Nora's eyes filled with tears again, but this time they were tears of joy. "It's beautiful, Camden. Thank you."

I helped her fasten the necklace around her neck, the pendant resting just above her heart. "I want you to remember that no matter what happens, I'm here for you. Always."

She touched the pendant, her fingers lingering over the tiny picture. "I love you, Camden," she said softly.

"I love you too," I replied, my heart swelling with emotion. "More than words can say."

As the last rays of sunlight dipped below the horizon, we shared a tender kiss, sealing our promise to each other. In that moment, I knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, we would face them together, our love stronger than any obstacle in our path.

We lay back on the blanket, watching as the stars began to twinkle in the night sky. The world around us was silent, save for the gentle rustle of leaves and the distant call of an owl. It was a perfect moment, a reminder that even in the midst of chaos, there could be peace.

And as we drifted off to sleep under the canopy of stars, I knew that whatever the future held, we would face it together, our hearts intertwined, our love a beacon of light in the darkness.