45 - a hero's hidden heart 🥂💗

ship: katsuki bakugo + eijiro kirishima.

AU - In this oneshot, kirishima has a little brother. In the manga/anime, kirishima does not have any siblings, just to clear this up. 🤍

The early morning sun streamed through the windows of the Little Learner Daycare, casting a warm glow over the brightly coloured room filled with toys, books, and small tables. The daycare was a haven for children, a place where they could play, learn, and grow under the watchful eyes of the staff.

One of those staff members was none other than Katsuki Bakugo, who, despite his gruff exterior and explosive temper, had a hidden soft spot for children. He had taken this job as a way to give back to the community, to help shape the next generation of heroes in his own unique way. He made sure nobody knew about it, though. The daycare was his sanctuary, a place where he could let down his guard without the prying eyes of his classmates or the world.

It was a Saturday morning, and Bakugo was busy setting up the art supplies for the day's activities. His mind was occupied with thoughts of how to challenge the kids without overwhelming them, finding that perfect balance. He didn't notice the door open until he heard the sound of small footsteps approaching.

"Kit Kat!"

Bakugo turned, and a rare, genuine smile spread across his face as he saw one of his favourite charges, a little boy named Osamu, running towards him with outstretched arms. He caught the boy and lifted him into the air, eliciting a delighted giggle from Osamu.

"Hey, squirt. Ready for another day of fun?" Bakugo asked, his voice softer than usual.

Osamu nodded vigorously. "Yeah! I wanna build the biggest tower ever!"

"Then let's get started," Bakugo said, setting Osamu down and watching as he ran off to the block corner.

Bakugo turned back to his work, not noticing the figure standing frozen at the door. Eijiro Kirishima, Osamu's older brother and Bakugo's best friend, had come to drop off Osamu for the day, since his Mum was at work. He had been expecting to see the usual staff, but seeing Bakugo here, looking so gentle and happy, was a shock.

Kirishima's mind raced as he tried to process what he was seeing. Bakugo, the same guy who yelled at villains and friends alike, who trained harder than anyone else at U.A. High, was working at a daycare? He watched as Bakugo moved around the room, interacting with the kids, his rough edges softened in their presence.

Before Kirishima could gather his thoughts and leave without being noticed, Bakugo looked up and their eyes met. For a moment, neither of them moved. Kirishima saw the flash of surprise, then annoyance, and finally resignation in Bakugo's eyes.

"Kirishima, what the hell are you doing here?" Bakugo barked, though it lacked his usual bite.

"I—uh—I was dropping off Osamu," Kirishima stammered. "I didn't know you worked here, man."

Bakugo sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Yeah, well, now you do. Keep it to yourself, got it?"

Kirishima nodded, stepping fully into the room and closing the door behind him. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"It's none of their business," Bakugo said gruffly. "And it's not exactly hero work, is it?"

Kirishima stepped closer, lowering his voice. "I think it's pretty heroic, actually. Taking care of kids, helping them grow. It's important work."

Bakugo glanced at him, his expression softening slightly. "Yeah, well. It's something I wanted to do, okay?"

Kirishima smiled, feeling a warmth in his chest. "I get it. And honestly, I'm glad I found out. This is... really cool, Bakugo."

Bakugo huffed, looking away. "Whatever. Just don't make a big deal out of it."

"I won't," Kirishima promised. He hesitated for a moment, then added, "But if you ever need help or anything, I'm here. And, uh, maybe we could hang out more. Outside of school stuff."

Bakugo raised an eyebrow. "Hang out more?"

"Yeah," Kirishima said, his cheeks tinged with a hint of red. "I mean, we're friends, right? And, uh, maybe more than that. If you want."

Bakugo stared at him, the words sinking in. He felt a strange flutter in his chest, a mixture of nerves and excitement. "You saying you like me, Shitty Hair?"

Kirishima laughed nervously. "Yeah, I guess I am."

Bakugo's lips curled into a smirk. "Took you long enough. Fine. We can hang out. Just don't expect me to go easy on you."

Kirishima's grin widened. "Wouldn't have it any other way."

As they stood there, a new understanding blossoming between them, the sound of children's laughter filled the room. Bakugo glanced around, seeing Osamu and the other kids playing happily. Maybe this wasn't such a bad secret to share, after all.

─── ・🤍🤍。゚☆: *.☽ .* :🤍🤍. ───

The days that followed were filled with a new kind of energy. Kirishima started volunteering at the daycare, much to the delight of the children and to Bakugo's secret happiness. They worked side by side, Bakugo's rough edges balanced by Kirishima's unfailing positivity and kindness.

Their relationship grew, built on mutual respect and understanding. They trained together, fought villains together, and now, they cared for children together. Each day brought new challenges and new joys, strengthening their bond.

One evening, after a long day at the daycare, Kirishima and Bakugo sat on the steps outside, watching the sunset. The sky was painted with shades of orange and pink, casting a warm glow over them.

"You know," Kirishima said, breaking the comfortable silence, "I never would have guessed this is where we'd end up."

Bakugo shrugged, a small smile playing on his lips. "Life's full of surprises, I guess."

Kirishima leaned closer, his shoulder brushing against Bakugo's. "I'm glad it is."

Bakugo glanced at him, his eyes softening. "Me too, Shitty Hair. Me too."

And as the sun set, they sat together, content in each other's presence, knowing that whatever challenges the future held, they would face them together. Because sometimes, the greatest heroes were those who cared for others, and sometimes, love was found in the most unexpected places.