Chapter 5: Lexi

I start my work day struggling to focus. So much has happened this week I wonder how I am still functioning at all. Getting up from my desk to grab another cup of coffee so I can take the time to bury down these issues until I am ready to deal with them again.

On my way back to my office passing the front door I see someone walking up my drive. I feel like this week I have had to people more than I have this past year. Walking onto the porch with Judge following me he stands alert between my legs. The shelter wasn't overselling, he really is well trained.

Looking back to the driveway I see Tommy walking up, "Good Morning Tommy."

"Good morning Lexi, hey Judge." Tommy wave with a smile on his face.

"What can we do for you?" I say.

Hesitating grabbing the back of his neck Tommy said, "Oh, I came to ask for a favor."

"Sure what's up?"

"I need a ride to the pier in Charleston. When I saw you on Saturday I had driven to the pier to meet some friends and didn't ride back in the boat."

"Oh, I mean, you know what I could use a break from work. Sure."

"Really? I didn't mean to bother you while working. What do you do?"

"I'm a book editor. And don't worry about it. I've been struggling to focus all morning so this is a much needed break. Give me a minute to grab my keys and lock the house up."

Smiling at him before turning back into the house to grab my stuff. I grab Sabastian's letter and put it in my purse, since I'll be in Charleston I can see about stopping by the library to look at the newspaper's archive to see the coverage on Cara's accident and better understand how nothing came from it. The guy that hit us got a reckless driving ticket.

Leaving Judge since I will be going in the library and the back seat wouldn't be as comfortable for him I lead Tommy to the detached garage and unlock the Jeep, getting in and starting heading to Charleston.

"You lock everything up here?" Tommy looked confused.

"Um, yeah?" Confused. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? I mean so people don't steal your stuff?

"I just mean like you live way out here and crime isn't really a thing in this town."

"Oh, I guess I'm used to it." I confess.

"Where did you move here from? I'm just now realizing I don't know much about you." he concluded.

Laughing, "Washington but I grew up being like this. When you grow up the way I did you learn to keep what you value the most secure."

"What do you mean? I'm not trying to impose, just curious I guess feel free not to answer." Tommy cautioned.

"No, it's fine. I grew up with a father that sold anything he could. Until I was 17 and graduated high school, got a full ride to Washington State." I replied.

"Wow!" Tommy marveled.

Letting the silence fill the car I reach over to the radio and smile with the song playing. I don't know why but 'Buy Me A Boat' by Chris Janson always makes me smile and puts me in a good mood. I start singing softly remembering I am not alone.

My ringtone blast from my speakers answering the phone. I hear Sarah's voice.

"Hey Sarah, I have you connected to the car and I'm not alone."

"Oh, okay well one I need more pictures of you and Judge. Two, call me when you can talk." Sarah blurted out.

Laughing, I said, "You got it on both fronts." Hanging up the call.