Chapter 25: Lexi

I finish up the macaroni salad and the potato salad trying to figure out if I should cook anything else when I hear Grandpa calling out to me from the front door. I walk to him, giving him a hug.

"Hey Grandpa. Is everything okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, just checking on you since I saw the trucks arriving." He laughs out.

"Oh yeah I should have let you know. I wanted to send Bash off right. I don't think I know the right way but this allows others to say their goodbyes. I mean now that the truth is out." I say.

"Not a problem Girl. That man of yours asked me to stay but I don't think you need me here. I think you need to allow this to happen organically. Get out your head Lexi." He tells me in his stern voice.

"Yes Sir." I say with a smile on my face, taking a deep breath and letting it out. "You're right I was just thinking, would it be weird if I brought Bash's ashes out?" I say it as more of a question to see if I am crazy.

"Do what you think is right. Maybe putting him on a table with a picture would allow the other the chance to say what they need to without the pressure." He offers.

"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. I kinda ruined all the picture frames though." I confess.

Laughing he shakes his head, "Let me go by the store and pick up a frame. I'll be right back." He says walking out the front door.

I go into my office and find a picture of me and Bash while we were just friends before I gave him the chance to take me out on a date. I take it and Bash into the Kitchen looking for a nice table cloth.

"Hey Honey. How can I help you? The guys are setting up their tents and watching the food." Liam asks, taking notice of the picture next to the urn.

"I finished the salads and I need a table set up on the porch. Away from the food. Grandpa suggested I set up a spot where everyone can say their goodbyes without any pressure but I guess if they watch me set it up they might feel the pressure." I say finding a table cloth and walking towards Liam.

"Naw they will appreciate you doing this for them Honey. I will take the salad out and the cloth and you can bring Bash out when you're ready." Liam says, taking the cloth from me and then grabbing the salads in each hand heading back out the door.

I grab the urn and the picture walking to the back porch taking notice of the four guys in the backyard setting up the tents. Liam set up a table in the far corner off to the side for Bash. The food off to the other side with paper plates and the lemonade.

Moving to the table I set Bash down. Why does this moment feel so final? Realistically I know when we bury him that will be final. This is a last minute celebration of life. Yeah that's what Liam called it.

"Lexi, I got this one." Grandpa whispers to me, handing me a frame.

"Thank you." I choke out, opening the back, putting the picture I chose into the frame, setting it up next to the urn. Wiping my eyes and taking a step back.

"You got this Girl. He would be thankful for this gesture." He then adds softly, "Not that he deserves your kindness."

"Grandpa." I say turning to look at him. I just give him a hug.

"Foods ready." Liam calls out from the grill.

"Let me go grab the silverware so everyone can eat." I say heading back into the kitchen to grab the box I got from the store.

On my way back to the back porch I can hear the guys talking about how nice it is of me to put this on and how it's a great chance to get to know me and Liam together. I hear Liam tell them not to upset me and this is first about Bash before him.