𝟎𝟒𝟐. 𝐡𝐚, 𝐤𝐢𝐝 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞

HA, KID SCARE
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter forty-two, season three

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟔𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟖
―୨୧⋆ ˚ MARLEY'S POV

𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐂𝐊 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐄.

Sam and Dad are in Orlando, wrapping up a banshee case while Dean and I are on a road trip. Actually, Dean wanted to go on this road trip solo but he got roped into babysitting me── his nine-year-old little sister.

   Despite him saying that he's happy to have me along, I know that he'd much rather be cruising along the roads alone.

   I don't know why he chose to take a road trip, but he did, and now he's hoping to visit five states in five days. So far, we've been to Chicago where Dean bought me the biggest deep-dish pizza I've ever seen. We went to Millennium Park, and every time I looked over at Dean, he looked bored but he plastered a fake smile on his face for my sake.

   I know he enjoys spending time with me, but I also know that he likes to do things like this alone. His entire life resolves around me, Sam and hunting, and all he asked for was one break away from it all to do this road trip, and I crashed it.

I begged Dad── something I never do── to let me come with him, but he claimed that he didn't want a little kid running in and screwing everything up, but I'm still screwing everything up by crashing Dean's five day road trip. Sam wanted me there, but Dad's word is final, and Dean couldn't leave me alone so he brought me with him.

He says he wants me here, but I know he'd rather be by himself.

We're now on our way to Indiana, and I still wish I wasn't here. Don't get me wrong, I love Dean, and I love spending time with him, but when I can see that Dean definitely wants time to himself, it makes me feel guilty for being here. I'm just in the way, and I don't want to be.

Dean deserves a break, so I decide to make a suggestion.

I lean forward, turning down the Zeppelin song that's currently playing, and Dean jerks back like I've slammed my foot on the brake. He opens his mouth to speak, but I talk first, "How about you drop me off at a motel so you can go and check out the town?"

"What?"

"We're going to Cicero, right?" He nods, still not understanding where I'm going with this. "Well..." I look down at the map on my lap because Dean thought it would be smart that I, the child, navigate us. So far, I haven't done too bad of a job, but it's only a matter of time before I send us down the wrong road. "There's a motel near to the town, and a bar right next to it so──"