76 - after the fall 💗🥂🖤

ship: katsuki bakugo + eijiro kirishima.

The memory of Kamino haunted Katsuki Bakugo like a spectre. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't shake the feeling of powerlessness that had taken root in his chest, festering like an open wound. It gnawed at him, a constant reminder of how helpless he had been—how they had taken him, and how he had needed saving.

The world had turned upside down in those moments, the bright future he had always envisioned for himself suddenly obscured by doubt and fear. It wasn't the Katsuki Bakugo he recognized. The Katsuki Bakugo he knew didn't hesitate, didn't falter, didn't need to be rescued.

But here he was, flinching at shadows, lashing out at anyone who got too close. And the worst part? He could feel himself slipping, losing that edge that had always defined him.

Best Jeanist had seen it too, which was why he'd taken Bakugo under his wing after Kamino. He'd tried to guide him, to help him rebuild his confidence and restore the fire that had once burned so brightly. But no matter what Bakugo did, no matter how many training sessions he pushed himself through, it never felt like enough. The doubt was always there, whispering that he was broken, that he was useless.

It was a rare day off when Bakugo found himself alone in the dorms, staring at the ceiling of his room, his thoughts spiralling in a familiar, painful loop. He was so lost in his own head that he didn't hear the knock at his door, didn't even notice when the door creaked open slightly.

"Bakugo?"

Bakugo's head snapped up at the sound of his name, his heart giving a painful lurch. Eijiro Kirishima stood in the doorway, concern etched across his features. It was a look Bakugo had grown accustomed to seeing lately—a look that only fuelled his frustration.

"What do you want, Shitty Hair?" Bakugo growled, turning his gaze back to the ceiling, hoping Kirishima would take the hint and leave him alone.

But Kirishima wasn't so easily deterred. He stepped into the room, closing the door behind him before walking over to Bakugo's bed. "I just... I wanted to check on you," he said softly. "You've been... different since Kamino, and I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine," Bakugo snapped, his voice sharper than he intended. "I don't need you worrying about me."

Kirishima didn't flinch at the harsh tone; instead, he sat down on the edge of the bed, his eyes never leaving Bakugo's face. "You're not fine," he said, his voice gentle but firm. "And that's okay, you know. No one expects you to be fine after everything that happened."

Bakugo clenched his jaw, the anger bubbling just beneath the surface. He didn't want to hear this. He didn't want to be coddled, pitied. He didn't want Kirishima's sympathy.

"I said I'm fine," Bakugo repeated, his voice dangerously low.

Kirishima sighed, his shoulders slumping slightly. "I know it's hard, Kats. I know you feel like you need to be strong all the time, but you don't have to do it alone. You don't have to shut everyone out."

"I'm not fuckin' shutting anyone out!" Bakugo's voice rose, his temper flaring. He pushed himself up from the bed, glaring down at Kirishima. "I'm just... I'm trying to figure this out, okay? I don't need you or anyone else to fix me!"

Kirishima stood as well, his expression pained. "I'm not trying to fix you, Katsuki. I just... I care about you. I don't want to see you hurting like this."

"Why the hell do you care so much?" Bakugo snapped, his voice cracking with the weight of his frustration. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Because I—" Kirishima's voice broke off, his eyes wide with hurt. He took a shaky breath, his hands trembling slightly at his sides. "Because I care about you, Katsuki. More than you know. And it kills me to see you like this, to see you shutting me out."