Guns And Laces: Chapter 24

Guns And Laces

Halfway Through

Chapter Twenty-Four

“I killed her.” His voice came out barely above a whisper.

I was surprised to hear those words come out of his mouth. I took a moment to process it - his eyes were restlessly searching my face to find something. I gently unclasped his hand from around my wrist and he looked at my hand and then at my face trying to gauge my reaction. For a brief moment, panic flashed in his eyes.

Quietly, I wrapped my arms around his neck and enveloped him in a tight embrace. My right hand trailed up to his nape and gently rubbed it.

“I am so sorry for your loss and I am so sorry that it had come to this.” I whispered in his ear.

His body went stiff in my hold and he did not immediately hug me back but I did not let go. A few moments later, his arms coiled around my back nearly squeezing the life out of me and he buried his face in my shoulder.

We stayed in each other’s arms until the bell buzzed and reluctantly he pulled away from me. I could see that his eyes had turned slightly red at the corners.

I kissed his cheek, “Go, it must be your brother.”

He nodded his head and took my hand in his, “Come with me.”

I smiled and followed him out. I noticed how there was a slight, almost unnoticeable bounce in his steps, as he hurried to open the door to his brother and it made my heart so happy.

I was marrying a man who valued family above everything. Coming from a place of no family, it was one of the top most important things for myself.

As soon as he opened the door, a force slammed into Angelo’s body and he nearly stumbled but caught himself in time.

I chuckled to myself and quietly slipped my hand away from his hold so he could greet his brother properly.

“I missed you so much.” His brother said to him.

Angelo tightened his hold around his brother and said something in return that I couldn’t hear. I felt like a third wheel standing there but I couldn’t convince myself to move away because witnessing so much love between the two siblings warmed my insides.

I longed to have that with Sierra. Without any care, without any fear.

I quickly sent a prayer to God in that moment to always maintain this bond between all three of them including Eirene.

They both finally pulled away and Angelo ruffled his hair, “You’ve grown your hair, huh? Perks of leaving the force, I guess?” He teased.

I finally noticed the other man and strong sense of deja vu hit me looking at his face. He had teal eyes, his were a shade lighter than Eirene, but in all true sense he looked Eirene’s carbon copy. Of course, he does - they’re twins.

He rolled his eyes in turn, “I haven’t left the force, just quit army. I’m now working with the Intelligence Agency.” He informed.

“Ah, I see. So you’re gonna be keeping an eye on the drug cartels as well?” Angelo said with a hint of humour.

“Yes, I will get you arrested in no time. You and Darius - the two kings of illegal activities.”

Angelo laughed and pinched his cheeks, “Aw, you’re cute.”

He swatted Angelo’s hand away with a disgusted look and I pursed my lips to stop myself from laughing.

Angelo turned to look at me with a soft smile playing on his lips which I graciously returned.