Guns And Laces: Chapter 35

Guns And Laces

Sacred Space

Chapter Thirty-Five

"You'll be able to catch him over this beautiful, dead fuckin' body. But even then, he will be the one coming after you."

-Rheannon.

I stirred awake and found myself in an unfamiliar room. Panic bubbled in my chest almost instantly at the unfamiliarity of my surroundings.

I blinked my eyes multiple times – not being able to adjust to the light that filtered through the curtains and straight on my face. Being used to living in the dark for nearly two months, it was extremely bothersome to see everything so clearly.

Nonetheless, I pushed these thoughts aside and tried to sit up. My head felt heavy as if someone had tied a load of bricks at the back of it. After a few futile attempts, I finally succeeded and my vision became clearer.

I was in a room - bedroom to be precise - and it was huge. I could smell a familiar scent in the air and that’s when my ears perked and my head snapped in the direction of the bathroom. I could hear the water running inside.

I frowned and looked around again before gently pushing the comforter away and looking at myself. I was in unfamiliar clothes…and my body was clean. My gaze travelled to my wrists that were wrapped in gauze and I instinctively touched the side of my head that throbbed to find it wrapped as well.

I brought the comforter up to my nose to sniff the scent again and like a movie, it all came back to me. Scene by scene. Everything that I endured and everything that happened afterwards.

Angelo was there.

Just then the door clicked open and my head snapped to see Angelo drying his hair with a towel. He hadn’t realised that I was awake so he walked straight towards another door.

My body began to tremble and I wanted to call his name but all the words died in my throat replaced by a heavy clogged ball of emotions.

A few moments passed when he walked out again. Our gazes met and he paused in his tracks. My lips began to tremble as soon he snapped out of his daze and began walking in my direction.

“You’re awake.” He whispered.

My heartbeat picked up as soon as he came near the bed – the look of disbelief and longing now evident on his face. He brought his hand up to my face and I flinched shrinking back into the headboard.

Pin drop silence settled in the air and it took me more than a couple seconds to realise my actions. I slowly looked up to find Angelo staring at me with a detached look in his eyes. His expressions were cold and his jaw was locked.

He was angry. But not at me, right?

“I am not angry at you, my love.” His voice was soft. But also very restrained as if he was holding back a lot.

I didn’t say it out loud but he still heard me.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I gulped audibly and looked at him, "I - I didn't mean to."

“I know.” He whispered but didn’t move any closer as if he was afraid to hurt. As if he was afraid that I would give him the same reaction.

“Can I sit here?” He asked.

A movement caught my eyes and I saw his hand flexing by his side as if he was physically restraining himself to not touch me.

I lifted my eyes to meet his and nodded my head. As soon as he sat by the edge, I scooted closer and wrapped my arms around him.