Chapter Sixty-Eight

"That's it?" I laughed, surprised that he was so worried about my response. I'd do the exact same thing in his shoes. If I'd learned anything from my time with James, it was that he thought of his options and chose the best one to keep his people safe. "You need to stay on Cybill's good side. I don't judge you for that."

"You're not mad?" He questioned as he took a step closer to me. He was tentative in his movements as if he expected me to pull away from him again.

"No," I reiterated. I leaned into him again, this time raising my arms to the back of his neck. His body responded to my own, pulling me in tightly before his lips pressed against mine. It was soft at first, I wasn't even sure of where we stood and it wasn't like I had the time to ask him after sleeping together. But, being separated from him, even for a short while, made my body crave his. Lust, love, adrenaline. I had no idea, but the soft kiss quickly turned into a hunger. My hands gripping the back of his hair, I pulled myself slightly away. Only an inch away from his mouth, I whispered, "Use me, James. Anytime you want to."

His hand raced through my hair, pulling the back of my head toward him again, closing the gap I had created. His other hand slid down my body, leaving a trail of heat in its wake. He stopped at my thigh and then moved back up, scooping and lifting my body. I responded to the action, climbing on top of him to make it easier as he carried me to the bed.

His body was heavy as he laid on top of my own. In a combination of lust and worry, I clung to him, feeling like I couldn't kiss him enough. Nothing could satiate the hunger I felt. The hardest part about my position was not being able to be with him when shit hit the fan. Really, I wasn't much help right now, and I understood that. But not knowing what happened to James, if he was even alive, left a pit in my stomach. I didn't just want James in the moment. I think I was getting actual feelings for him.

The thought of falling for a guy so quickly pulled me out of the moment. James moved to my neck with the same passion as we had started. I was suddenly aware of the books under my back, the ceiling above me, and the tingling feeling of James's chin hairs tickling my neck. How could I fall for someone so quickly? Was it purely the fact that the world was ending? Would I fall for him if we'd simply gone on a date and continued with the rest of our lives like the guy from my gym? Would Ophelia laugh at me if I told her about how quickly I was in love with someone I'd only just met? No, I think Ophelia would've liked him and told me she was happy I was finally finding a good guy and not just another fuck boy.

I feel like such a sap. What the hell am I doing?

"Is something wrong?" James breathed heavily as he moved from my neck. He held himself up and stared at me.

I held up a hand, gently touching the side of his face. He pushed his cheek into my hand before turning his face and kissing my palm. The tender gesture just pushed me over the top and I couldn't help myself as I blurted out, "I think I'm falling in love with you."