Chapter Forty-Eight

"What do you mean?" He questioned me as he pulled away.

I felt like a conspiracy theorist trying to make sense of something that was racing through my mind before I could even fully understand it. I stood up and stared at him, my eyes probably as wide as they felt, while I tried to explain, "Eris stole my powers, but I didn't die."

"Right." The tone in his voice made me feel stupider than I already felt. Then he placed a finger over his mouth and shushed me. I didn't know if the people of Coralis were constantly eavesdropping or could only listen in on our conversations when in fish form, but I didn't have time to write it all out. We needed to has this out and has it out quickly.

"I didn't die," I repeated, but with a softer whisper. "I'm alive. I'm here standing in front of you without any powers. How often do we hear about that? I'm not saying it's impossible, but usually when a Witch Hunter steals your powers, what happens?"

"You die in the process." He stood up and pointed a finger at me as if he finally acknowledged that I meant. "And you're alive."

"I'm alive."

"There has to be rationale for something like this. Case studies that we could have research on. We need to go back to the Vault. If we're going to deep dive this, especially if electronic records get erased, we'd find something in the Vault."

"How do we get out of here?" I questioned, ready to start the search. It could provide us with nothing. It could be a weird fact that has never happened before and has nothing to do with me or Eris. Or, it could help us stop her, and if the people of Coralis wanted to wage war, they'd want to help us get back to the Vault and find answers.

"I'm not sure we'll be able to leave that quickly and tactfully without a convincing answer, but we can certainly try."

"Screw relations," I claimed. Wouldn't getting answers be more beneficial for all involved.

"It's not that easy Rhea. We need to maintain these bonds for the prosperity of Silverleaf, especially if a simple hunch proves meaningless."

"Why do you have to be so diplomatic, James?"

"Would you expect or want the leader of the coven to act any other way?"

"No, I'm just used to a coven that acted with only their interests at heart."

"It made for good television but not good relations." James smiled at me. He was right, the only reason the Deadly Witches were so well liked on-screen was because of our popularity off-screen and ratings. No one would want anything to do with us, outside of our powerful magic, if we weren't famous. But, part of what made us famous, is that we didn't care. We were, as James called it out, good entertainment.

"Can you—"

"Yes," He answered before I even finished my question. "I'll go speak with the king now."