Chapter Forty-Six

I raised an eyebrow at James, ready to hear more about his offer. He typed a message on his phone before handing it back to me. It read, "It's hard not being able to talk to you."

While I know he didn't mean it any other way than communication difficulty, that type of message made my heart flutter, intentional or not. I was in the middle of typing, "Aw, it's ok. All the guys feel that way." When James caught on to what I was typing and pulled the phone out of my hand. He laid back on the bed as he began writing a novel-length message, the contents of which were seemingly straightforward.

The first key point was that I held the ability to use fire magic, that didn't go away just because we were near or underwater, it might just look different. It went on to explain that weather manipulation, similar to what the queen said, was just a form of using the elements. In that scenario, I'm surrounded by water that I could use without conjuring it myself. In that instance, I could heat the water and create a mist or fog effect. It would be easy for me to practice down here but harder to utilize in the real world. While there is still water to pull from, there might be much less, especially when not near large bodies of water. It would require more focus and effort to achieve and so I should master the basics with a full sea of water surrounding me.

When I finished reading, James was already ready to start a lesson in weather manipulation. He walked toward the open window in the room and summoned his own fire orb. Then he waved me over to him. I stood up and joined him at the window. While he gave me the fire to work with, I had to find a way to connect the fire with the nearby water. I started focusing on what my body and mind used to do when practicing magic. Except, I needed to remember that using magic isn't the same anymore. I actually had to focus on my spell, potentially even use an incantation to make my magic work right now. So, I tried again, in my head I focused on the water surrounding us and the fire that James held in front of me.

Like a breath of air, I thought in my head. Mist transcend. Fire and water merge and blend.