Chapter Fifty-Nine

I felt a sharp pain in my back before losing the ability to move. My eyesight strained for the Crystals, needing them to circle just a little farther before I could use them to get out of there. While I didn't feel a change in my appearance, the people began to pull away from me as if I was diseased. The action pulled my gaze down from the Crystals and toward them, wondering what was happening.

"It is Rhea," I heard someone mutter.

It wouldn't be abnormal for a powerful enough witch to remove the identity magic James had used on me, but only if they knew there was magic there to begin with. If they didn't know, any spell they attempted wouldn't work. So, Cybill correctly knew who I was for who knew how long. By the time I focused my eyes back up to the Crystals their position had shifted and I had to wait for them to circle a bit further again.

"My people," Cybill yelled over the confused crowd. "She is looking for Rhea. Was it not announced that Rhea was dead? We must return to her what was misplaced. She will leave us alone once she has Rhea. Dead or alive."

"We don't know that," I heard James try to correct the crowd, but it was too late. People began to move instantly. I felt the sharp pain of a dagger pierce the side of my stomach. My body contracted in pain, even though it was still frozen in space. I watched the Crystals as all pieces finally aligned in my vision.

"Why are you protecting her?" Cybill countered as I started to use the crystals. The last thing I heard before I teleported away was, "What does Rhea matter to the people of Silverleaf?

Once in the vault I was able to move again, released from Cybill's magic. My hands quickly moved toward my satchel, ignoring the throbbing pain in my side for the more important healing potions. The first one I found was a lunar salve. It was mixed with aloe vera, dragon blood resin, yarrow herb, honey and moonstone powder. It was simple and effective in stopping the bleeding and promoting healing. I poured some of the shimmery liquid on my stab wound and began to rub the sticky mixture around. Then, I found a standard healing potion and quickly drank the bottle.

Even though I was in the Vault, I was no longer safe here. Cybill knew my identity and I wasn't sure how many people would make the connection that I am in the Vault, especially those who are followers of Cybill and who had access to this restricted environment. While the chances seemed slim, it was still possible. Then I felt the immediate concern for James, Est, and Callisto. How would they get out of it? Could they twist the story to make it seem that they didn't know who I was? Would enough people believe that? I had to hope that they would. Otherwise, I wasn't sure how long they would last against the mob.

Tempted to wait, and allowing the magic to work its way through my system, I found myself laying on the ground, unmoving, staring at the ceiling. The sound of the waves were calming as the overflowing water poured down into the wading pool. Another part of me thought it best to run. I could leave a note for James and the others that I'd gone back to Coralis. Get out of the Vault before it is finally compromised. Still, would the people of Coralis be so willing to help me without James? Maybe it helped that they saw just how affectionate we were to each other that they would treat me the same way they would treat the queen of Coralis. Maybe not with as much respect, sure, but as someone who should be protected because refusing to do so would cause troubles with the pact they had.

As if the real potential that I had to escape the Vault finally clicked in my brain, my body started moving. I began to pack as much as I could into my satchel before pausing. There was one important thing I was hoping the Vault could help me figure out and I needed the answers before I lost access to it. Why didn't I die when Eris stole my powers? There had to be something, somewhere in this room, that could help me find the answers and I needed to look before it was too late.