Chapter Fifty-One

We were late to dinner with the king and queen, but neither of us cared. Even James didn't offer an apology for the late arrival. Throughout dinner, I noticed him more than ever before. If his body was even facing my direction, I found myself pulled to look at him as well. At one point during dinner, he rested his hand on my thigh, casually, as if we had been in a loving relationship for years. His touch lit me on fire and I wanted to leave the room and go straight back to bed with him.

"And we haven't parted since," the queen laughed as she finished whatever story she had been telling. She reached over to the king and patted his arm gently before giving him a kiss. Then she faced us, "How did you two meet?"

I was suddenly more aware of James's hand on my leg and that the action was in public. The question didn't make him remove his hand. Instead, he smiled at the queen, and offered, "Rhea came to visit Silverleaf and I haven't been able to look away since."

"That's so sweet." She smiled at his answer.

"Young love is such a beautiful thing," King Cetus announced. "Let us hope continued partnerships prove beneficial in keeping it alive."

The leader of the Lizari raised a glass and added a "Hear Hear" in agreement.

James raised his glass as the others had before taking a sip. The response between the leaders took a more calculated turn than the queen's intentions felt to me. With the shifted mood, the night dwindled down and our obligations to be hosted at dinner were over.

James placed a hand on the small of my back as we walked back toward the guest rooms. We didn't speak much, but I felt his hand on me with as much fire as I had at the dinner table. I wondered if he felt the same or if, now that we'd had sex, he could focus on doing his job as a leader.

"Thank you," James said when we got outside of our rooms. He removed his hand from me, and we stared at each other in the hallway. There was an awkwardness in the way we acted, as if he had just walked me home from our first date. "I know you would've preferred to be at home, but you did great in there."

"I know what needs to be done," I agreed.

"Of course." He smiled. "I never doubted that. Anyway, if you need anything I'm just in here."

"You'll find me if you hear from anyone?" I clarified as I pointed back to my own room. "I can keep the door unlocked so you can just come in if we need to leave quickly."

I'd keep the door unlocked for other reasons, if he wanted, and I hoped he understood what I meant. I took a step toward him, and he reached for my hand with his own.

"Keeping the door unlocked doesn't sound safe, especially in a foreign place." He rubbed the back of my hand as he pulled me even closer.

"It doesn't," I agreed as he took a step back and opened his own door while guiding me with him.

"Maybe we should just stay together, tonight. For safety purposes."