Chapter 22: Island Escape

Alice and Natalia moved cautiously through the island, avoiding Alex's twisted experiments whenever possible. Alice gripped the metal pipe she found tightly, knowing it was their only defense. The island was filled with dangers—strange creatures deadly creatures, others too numerous to fight off.

Whenever they encountered a threat they couldn't handle, Alice quickly ushered Natalia into hiding spots, keeping the girl close and quiet. Every step forward was a test of nerves, but Alice knew they had to keep moving. They couldn’t afford to be caught.

As they pressed on, Alice kept an ear out for any sounds that might signal the presence of Moira or Claire. Every so often, she would whisper encouragement to Natalia, trying to keep the girl calm despite the terrifying circumstances. They needed to find a way off this island, and fast to send help to Claire and Moira if they don't find them before they leave.

So far, Alice hadn't encountered Natalia's other personality, which is Alex. Since they still hadn't found Claire, Moira, or Lottie, Natalia didn't want to leave the island because she said she wanted to find her best friend, Lottie, first. Alice talked to Natalia, suggesting that maybe Claire, Moira, and Lottie were all safe together. However, Natalia just looked at her like she didn't believe her because she had received a letter from Lottie telling her to come alone without Alice. When Alice took a peek at the paper, she found it was just blank, so she shrugged off Natalia's strange behavior.

Natalia was looking for the best opportunity to leave Alice when Alice luckily found a boat with some paddles. Alice placed the small boat at the edge of a river, as the current was strong. They had to be careful getting in because if they leaned too far forward, the boat could fall into the river. Given the strength of the current, they needed to be extra cautious.

Natalia noticed a flying monster slowly approaching them, but she didn’t say anything because she knew Alice was strong enough to handle it. This was going to be Natalia's opportunity to go find Lottie.

Alice tried to convince Natalia to get on the boat, but Natalia refused, saying she wouldn't go unless Alice got in first to prove it was safe. Reluctantly, Alice got in the boat first to show it was safe.

When the flying monster got very close, Natalia finally pointed it out. Alice looked back, determination in her expression, but she couldn't see the creature. She started swinging her metal pipe wildly in the air, struggling to make contact. Natalia began directing Alice, telling her where the monster was to make the fight easier. As Alice focused on the battle, Natalia prepared to slip away and go find her best friend, Lottie.

As Alice continued to struggle with the invisible monster, the boat slipped into the water, and the strong current began pulling her away from Natalia. Desperate, Alice knew she had to defeat the monster quickly. After a tense struggle, she finally managed to impale her metal pipe into the creature, vanquishing the it. But when she looked around, Natalia was nowhere to be seen.

Panic set in as Alice started screaming for Natalia, hoping to catch a glimpse of her. Finally, she spotted the young girl on the shore and urgently beckoned her to get into the boat. But Natalia shook her head, her expression determined. "I know where Lottie is, and she's going to keep me safe!" Natalia said loudly, waving at Alice as the boat continued to be dragged away by the relentless current. Alice watched helplessly as Natalia disappeared from sight.

Alice was stunned that Natalia chose to leave and be with Lottie. If only Natalia had told her where Lottie was, they could have found her together, and all three of them could have escaped Alex's dangerous island. 'Hopefully, Lottie can keep Natalia safe' Alice thought. 'If not, I hope Moira or Claire finds her before anything happens.'

Alice desperately tried to steer the boat toward the riverbank, hoping to get back to the island and search for Natalia. But the river's edges were either too high or littered with rocks, making it impossible to safely dock the boat. She didn't want to risk damaging it. Helplessly, she was forced to continue down the river, the current pulling her further away from Natalia and the island.