35

Alec and Jace quickly left once Jem appeared. Neither one of them seemed all that comfortable with the sick Shadowhunter. It was not their fault though, Jem took a lot to get used to. He was using illicet substances to take care of himself, and struggling desperately to do just that. He was a bit of a tragic case. He was parabatai with Will, and the two connected in ways that niether Lightwood could possibly understand, but he was sick. There was no denying that. Will was quite protective of him, and constantly worried himself over the boy and agonized over what he should do, how he should behave, what would help Jem the most. It was strangely kind, and not something that anyone was used to seeing Will act like. He supposed it was likely considering the man was typically quite rutheless and let out major sarcastic quips to cover his annoyance or anger.

Quite similar to what they had seen of Jace. Though the main difference seemed to be the fact that Jace was less likely to blow something up and more likely to chuck himself off a cliff. Despite only being around the shadowhunter for a small period of time, it was quite obvious the other was borderline suicidal. It was concerning, if nothing more, and the fact that it had not been addressed was something else to be concerned about, because such a young shadowhunter obviously wanting to die was not good or safe.

"What is it Will?"

"What did Gideon say?" Gabriel rolled his eyes at the eager question.

"It's a downworlder rune. How it was able to be used on a Nephilim once, let alone more than that is a mystery to me." It was a mystery to everyone, and a cruel understanding of what must have been happening under the table lit in Will's eyes.

"You think Nephilim were toying with demonic entities in order to experiment?" Gideon nodded, and both WIll and Jem had concerned looks on their faces.

"Whoever was testing it couldn't have put it on themselves. Even if they wanted to they would have constantly been in agony. Nobody has been taking excessive time off, or any time off at all so it is likely if the experimentation was done it was heavy underground. Nobody would want to get caught doing that type of stuff. It is dangerous, is what it is. Not only dangerous, but has the potential to blow back in their face...massively...if they get caught."

"Perhaps they will get cocky?" Jem questioned, but Will shook his head, regaining the attention that he had lost to Gideon and Gabriel"

"There is something else we need to remember. They sought Asylum. Whoever is experimenting on what it seems to be Jace over Alec, they know jace's weakpoints, they know how to get to him, they know how to torture him and torment him and eventually get him to break into nothing. Given the certain illegal nature of this experimentation as well, they are definitely going to try to get the boys back."

"I hate to say it, but he's' right." Gabriel reluctantly huffed out. Gideon rolled his eyes. this was ridiculous, they needed to figure things out, not go around in circles! "That warlock knows what it means." He said suddenly.

"Magnus is not going to just hand over that type of information for nothing, or at all. He is extremely tight lipped on a lot of things." Will grumbled.