28

Magnus was rather surprised at the level of distrust in Alec's voice. He supposed it was only to be expected, given the recent influx of information that Meliorn and himself had been provided, but it was still hurtful to hear all that hostility. The only main unfortunate thing was that though it was clear that they held a level of distrust towards the enclave, and other nephilim-and now that it was clear why it was understandable-they had no way to really prove their care for the boys barring what they have already done, and there was the problem of trying to figure out who it was that was experimenting on them.

It was clear, if that look that Alec was giving them, and the words that he had stated, that neither Alec nor Jace would be overly forthcoming with who this person was, and Magnus and Meliorn could not really find much fault with that given what they had clearly been through, particularly Jace. Just looking at the Nephilim it was enough to see that he had gone through some horrible things, and it was heart breaking. It was even worse that it was clear they were worried about potential retaliation should they speak more detailed about what it was that was befalling them.

Meliorn sighed as he gazed down at Jace. He still was not really sure what it was that had gone on downstairs, the details were a little bit fuzzy considering the hectic nature of the problem with Camille and that wayward Vampire, there was so much going on it was hard to focus on just one thing. Jace had rushed off during the middle of their conversation, and Meliorn had to admit knowing that the two were Parabatai seemed to make certain things make quite a bit of sense. The two were connected quite strongly as well, it was likely one of the most powerful things a parabatai can get to, to where they can instantly sense each other's emotions. He had no illusions that it was not somewhat frustrating as well. SUch things were bound to get annoying at some point.

"This person that you speak of, Jace's father, you escaped from where he was holding Jace correct?" Meliorn asked, but he did not wait for an answer, having already known what it was. "What makes you think that they do not already know where you are and are simply waiting in silence until they manage to find a good time to take both you and Jace?"

"I don't." Alec admitted softly, his eyes staring down at the carpet beneath his feet. "I have been keeping an eye out but I can only do so much in the grand scheme of things. I am not as strong or capable as Jace's father either. Should he manage to get us alone, I do not want to think of what will happen." Magnus hummed, in that calculating way of his that showed that he was thinking of something rather deeply. Meliorn glanced towards him out of the corner of his eyes before turning his attention back onto the Nephilim that was still collapsed and sleeping in his lap.

Meliorn was not stupid enough to not cherish what was being given by the boy. He knew what that meant, trust, of some form. Either in him or Magnus, but most likely in Alec's ability to keep him safe no matter what, so whatever Alec was saying against himself he knew that this Nephilim had no such illusions. There was more to it then that, though and Meliorn knew that well enough. The boy had to have some level of trust towards himself and Magnus as well, which was somewhat interesting given that Meliorn had barely met him, and Magnus had known him only slightly longer than himself.

Still, it was a nice feeling, to have a pair of Nehphilim trust himself and Magnus so implicitly. Whether they would say such things aloud or not was irrelivant, it was in the way they took the time to talk to them, were willing to be alone with them, and actively hold a conversation when they were speaking. There was no clipped words, or hatred in the eyes, there was a sense of caution and wariness, but they had those same emotions towards everyone, even their Nephilim friends that Magnus had booted out of the room earlier.

"You are quite the pairing." Magnus stated softly. He stared at Alec, his eyes somewhat knowing, it made Alec shudder inwardly, but also...that was technically...well, it was such a magnus thing to do. Alec could recall a thousand times that he had been given that stare. It was done when Magnus knew something...though it was not always obvious what that something was at first.

"I would...Well, I would hope that I chose a good Parabatai." Alec began, a nervous smile playing at his lips. He wondered what it was that Magnus was beginning to piece together, and he was not stupid enough to pretend it was not dangerous should he piece together enough of what was going on. Magnus was smart enough to manage it too, just by paying attention to them. It was unnerving at times before to Alec the sheer level of intelligence that Magnus had at times.

"There is more to it then that, I think." Meliorn interjected, his light floating voice grating on Alec's nerves. He did not understand why it was that Jace loved it so much, but he was not one to judge, he supposed.

"Oh? Do you?" Alec questioned, his eyes narrowing, fingers twitching slightly as he noticed how Meliorn kept gently clawing through Jace's hair, and how it was keeping the younger calm. Some part of ugly jealousy reared his head, but Alec shoved it down. He deserves to be with Meliorn if it calms him down, I cannot possibly understand the bond he seems to have with Meliorn, nor understand what it is he feels towards the other, but I have no right to interfere either, particularly considering how understanding he was with me and Magnus.