37

a twitch in a finger.

a breath in through beaten lungs. 

closed eyes flutter open. 

a weak breath out. 

a laugh.

"ah... fuck."

dom coughed, blood pouring from her lungs and making its way up her throat, her breath sputtering like acid bubbling in crimson. she weakly closed her eyes, the searing pain in her abdomen doing nothing to ease her nerves as she let out a beaten breath. 

"shoulda' just let him fall."

dominique didn't know how long she had been heaving blood. she had grappled with her feet against the tree skewering her, but she couldn't find the energy to look up to try and grasp her footing. every breath she took felt like red-hot iron searing her insides, her blood pumping against the wood through her stomach making her feel nauseous. she had never felt so much pain in her life. 

her ears were buzzing, ringing so painfully she couldn't even hear her own thoughts pass through her head. her eyes were so close to shutting yet she was so painfully awake she couldn't comprehend anything that was happening. 

however, through the silence, she heard the sound of rustling waltzing through the wind.

with the single ounce left of her strength, she shifted her head, her empty gaze landing on the shadowy corpse of a phantom, its glowing smile and beady eyes raking over her punctured form with a leering grin. dominique sighed.

"well, fuck."

she sighed out, closing her eyes and letting them rest.